PDA

View Full Version : Is there no safeguard against frivolous lawsuits ?

dogtag
08-31-2023, 07:28
It's getting really stupid. Someone is suing because
his Whopper bun is too small. People are suing because
they were fired. They sue because their coffee was too hot.
They sue their College because they can neither read or write.
Any excuse will do. A chance to maybe score a multi million
payday. The Biden admin is equally guilty bringing suits such as
one where they're suing a State because they refuse to pay
for a transgender operation on a condemned murderer.
Maybe there's a fine to be paid if the suit is deemed to have
no merit - but I doubt it. It would be cruel to fine a liberal
and would no doubt result in a lawsuit.

Allen
08-31-2023, 08:02
Since lawyers can charge whatever they wish and can completely clean out your inheritance and savings people became reluctant to sue or even consult with them.

Then came the contingency fees lawsuits where the lawyer's retain a % of the "winnings". You don't pay unless they win. This opened the floodgates on suing and now it is common for people that have money to always have several lawsuits going against them at all times. Since the lawyers get a % the more they can sue for the better for them.

I'm reminded of the klutz old woman who spilled hot McDonald's coffee on her crotch years ago and was awarded $186M or so.

Think how many lawsuits Trump must have against him and his 500 companies. This was going on before entering politics too.

Guidelines need to be placed on what can be sued for and to what $ limits. Lawyers fee's should be settled before hiring them. I doubt we'll ever see this though.

dryheat
09-01-2023, 12:25
I guess that's how Trump can remain so cool. He's used to this crap (but avoiding that might help with your sleep). I suppose if it rains on your picnic you can sue the t.v. station for giving you a bad weather report.

Allen
09-01-2023, 05:35
He's used to this crap (but avoiding that might help with your sleep).

Trading in your wife every so often for a new, younger, gorgeous one probably helps with that sleep too. Tom Cruise can probably vouch for that.

Art
09-01-2023, 07:53
It is an avoidable problem. Countries like the UK where it is lllegal to take cases on contingency an in which the loser pays - everything, definitely cuts down on stupid lawsuits.