PDA

View Full Version : Real Men don't buy electric cars ...

dogtag
09-02-2023, 07:30
I like to hear my engine running. I can tell by it's
sound how fast I'm going which means I don't have
to peer down to check the speedo and risk rear ending
someone. I would find it distinctly odd to cruise around
in silence. No, a real man has to have an engine rather
than a battery (which might burst into flame any minute).
And, what's the good of a garage if you have to leave your
EV outside in case it blows up ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-12470273/Manly-men-wont-buy-electric-cars-think-dent-macho-image-study-claims.html#:~:text=Almost%2040%20per%20cent%20of, most%20traditional%20%27masculine%27%20views.&text=%27Consumer%20good%20purchase%20decisions%20a re,identities%2C%27%20Dr%20Parent%20wrote.

Allen
09-02-2023, 07:50
I read where elec bicycles are popular in England. The article stated quite a few have exploded killing several riders. Then I found this article just in NYC.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/how-e-bikes-exploding-killing-people.

"Over the last few years, e-bikes have killed at least 11 people and injured at least 251 in New York City alone, all from fires that sparked from malfunctioning lithium-ion battery-powered devices."

I've personally had 3 Apple laptop batteries swell (not explode) in my computer. A Tesla that got water damage from the hurricane in FL exploded and made a big fire about 2 days ago.

As stated before, even if I had a EV I wouldn't know where to charge it. There's nothing nearby. Home charging applications cost about $6000.

Not for me.

dryheat
09-02-2023, 11:54
Electric car battery fires are so hard to put out, they have invented a special device that punches a hole under and them and then soaks them down with a lot of pressure from below. Even when they think they have it out they are set aside for a period of time to be sure. Plenty of cars that were "out" have ignited the next day.

M1Tommy
09-05-2023, 09:40
Watch, "What's going on with shipping" on youtube. It's pretty nerdish but informative at times.
He has a few that discusses a good sized car carrier that had a major fire. In a recent video, he shows some unloading. When an EV is carried out, it is dunked in a water tank, and starts smoking profusely. I'm not certain is if was still burning... after a MONTH... or re-ignited after exposure to that nefarious substance, water.

Here's a link, below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOCSHMOf73Q

Tommy

Allen
09-05-2023, 10:41
All these burned EV's need to be piled up in DC.

Vern Humphrey
09-05-2023, 01:08
All these burned EV's need to be piled up in DC.

No, in Delaware on Biden's lawn.

Major Tom
09-06-2023, 04:03
There's nothing like the 'growl' from a gas powered car/truck! Check out my avatar picture; now that baby growls and scoots! 2011 Callaway supercharged Gran Sport 600+HP

bruce
09-07-2023, 09:52
Have drove gas, diesel, electric vehicles. Day in, day out for anything like normal routine driving, the electric is great. Acceleration out the wazzo, etc. If I'm towing, it'll be diesel if at all possible... gas second. For anything that involves long one way trips ... I like gas. Last two months, have done two +400 mile trips and one +600 mile. Convenient to hop in the car and just drive w/ no need to refuel. Same with truck or car. Normally do not have to do the long stuff. Now, seldom drive more than 80 miles a day, mostly much less. One car is at 144K, other is at 240K. Wife wants a SUV. We're retired. Probably going to do a hybrid since it will meet her interests for a SUV and our shared joint interests in a vehicle combining excellent long term usefulness and economy. If I again have to do some towing, whatever, then I'll find a diesel/electric hybrid. After all, it worked really well for submarines beginning way back from WWI-II forward. Sincerely. bruce.

Allen
09-07-2023, 11:14
The question keeps coming up on EV's as to how much drain the a/c, defrost and heater take. No one has a definite answer on this.

A test was done on the new Ford F-150 lightning (elec version). They are advertised heavily on their range and their pulling capacity. The test was done on a elec Ford vs a gas GM pickup each pulling a large but empty utility trailer. When it came right down to it the Ford COULD pull the trailer but the range was cut to nothing (as in ridiculous).

Phloating Phlasher
09-07-2023, 12:49
A friend bought a Tesla.
He ran the air a lot, till one day he left the door open with it on during a brief (2~3 Minute)stop to pick something up.
It "detected an A/C failure" & the car spend day after being towed to the dealer.
He's since discovered after putting in a high cap 110v home charger that he can leave the air on & running all night when charging, so it doesn't have to do the "cooldown in the morning" helps with discharge.

dogtag
09-07-2023, 01:08
Why don't they charge while being driven ?
I know, it's a silly question.
Hedy Lamarr would have figured out how to do it.

Allen
09-07-2023, 01:23
Why don't they charge while being driven ?
I know, it's a silly question.
Hedy Lamarr would have figured out how to do it.

There's no such thing as a perpetual motion machine. Nothing creates as much energy as it consumes in this regard.

Hybrid cars, from what I read start off with an electric motor. When the batt runs down a gas engine kicks in and powers the car and I suppose puts some charge back into the battery but not enough to run off of.

The Chevrolet Volt came the closest to being self sufficient. It was powered by one or more elec motors. When the batt power got low a small gas powered generator would kick in and charge the batteries. The elec motor continued to power the car. The gas engine was tiny and only to run the generator. Advertised at around 70mpg total.

The car (no longer made) could continue to travel with this going on. This concept was much like a diesel/electric train.

Johnny P
09-07-2023, 02:30
I wouldn't try to explain it, but there is regenerative braking which adds a very small amount of energy when the brakes are applied.

dogtag
09-07-2023, 03:03
As long as something is turning it would seem possible to
use that momentum via say an alternator or such to put charge
back in to the battery. This stuff is in it's infancy as yet and will
no doubt sort these problems out. The thought of running out
of charge in the middle of nowhere harkens back to the days of
"Get out and get under" but those jalopies could be fixed, how
do you fix a dead EV battery ? Pushing and jump starting ain't
gonna do it.

Johnny P
09-07-2023, 04:52
Turning the alternator requires more energy than it produces. While this is no problem in running a small automotive alternator with a large gasoline/diesel engine, it wouldn't work in an EV.

Allen
09-07-2023, 04:58
As long as something is turning it would seem possible to
use that momentum via say an alternator or such to put charge
back in to the battery. This stuff is in it's infancy as yet and will
no doubt sort these problems out. The thought of running out
of charge in the middle of nowhere harkens back to the days of
"Get out and get under" but those jalopies could be fixed, how
do you fix a dead EV battery ? Pushing and jump starting ain't
gonna do it.

It takes energy to make that motion. Wheels turning that also spin an alternator are taxed with the load of the alternator having to charge the batteries (they don't free wheel). The harder it is to turn the alternator the more energy is drained from the batteries to turn the wheels to maintain the same speed.

Perpetual motion is the theory that a machine can produce it's own energy and enough of it to maintain itself w/o any additional resources.

It's a pipe dream much like turning lead into gold.

If cars had solar panels on the top and out of sight they could produce some charge especially with short commutes and if your car sat out in an open sunny parking lot all day. You couldn't drive endlessly into the sunset but they would produce a little power. Perhaps enough to get you home.

dryheat
09-07-2023, 07:10
How about putting about forty little windmills on them?

barretcreek
09-07-2023, 07:40
I don't know the payback on regenerative braking but Prius owners version of fun was rally style driving to go for the highest mileage per unit of gas consumed.

Think five hundred miles in UP in February without ever being on pavement would be more enjoyable.

Allen
09-07-2023, 08:28
How about putting about forty little windmills on them?

Or a hole cut in the floorboard like Fred Flintstone's car.

dryheat
09-07-2023, 08:31
Thankfully, I'm not the only one who thinks.

5thDragoons
09-08-2023, 01:00
EV owners in Florida are finding a different problem with another hurricane coming, there's salt water flooding which, when in contact with batteries = a fire. Just watched several burning on a weather channel report. SW