PDA

View Full Version : The High Heel Shoe, made for Men but now adorn Women ...

dogtag
09-09-2023, 05:09
Used to help keep a Cavalryman's foot in the stirrup.
Later used to add inches to a Russian Queen's height.
Much later used to improve the looks of a Woman's legs.
I can't think of another reason for a Woman to wear such
uncomfortable footwear apart from it's ability to attract
a Man's eye. Female models posing always point the toe
knowing it enhances the look of the leg. And that is exactly
what the painful looking historic footwear does.
I have to marvel at the female ability to walk without wobbling
or screaming in pain.

dryheat
09-09-2023, 09:21
I can't walk in cowboy boots. I don't know how women walk in stilettoes. But, it sure works.

Art
09-10-2023, 05:25
This thread piqued my curiosity.

dogtag, you are right, women's high heels are part of the podiatrist full employment package.

I read an article to the effect that men were wearing high heel shoes as a fashion statement as early as the middle ages and the ladies followed suit shortly. The Persians, apparently, were the first to wear high heeled shoes/boots for horseback riding about the same time European men were wearing them as a fashion statement. My wife has a pair of Victorian style high tops with about a 1 1/2" spool heel which was sort of standard on them, of course that's now evolved to some women's shoes with ridiculously high spike heels.

I remember when I was working for the 'gubmint in New York City, my first office job, that the women would come to work in flat shoes, often sneakers and change into their heels in the office. That says something about how uncomfortable those "stilletos" are.

dryheat, I feel your pain (or used to) about cowboy boots, I once belonged to a specialized anti-smuggling unit where the unofficial uniform was a guayavera shirt, blue jeans and cowboy boots. I hated those things, even with the 1" walking heel, hurt my feet and running in them was almost out of the question. I eventually broke the code and went back to running shoes with that outfit. Then, about 20 years ago, I discovered Lucchese boots, those things are really comfortable for me. I was told by the lady I bought my first pair from that the secret is the Lucchese proprietary twist last. Very pricey, but I found I could afford their base level 1883 line which was still not cheap to say the very least.

Speaking of Lucchese boots. I have a great friend who was my last partner in NYC. He still lives in the NYC suburbs of northern New Jersey, hates it there but can't leave for family reasons. He discovered Lucchese boots many years ago and wears them frequently, at least in the winter when boots are fashion appropriate for men up there. Now being a Brooklyn born and bred Italian NYC boy they turn an occasional head. He taught a college criminal justice class for a while and a student asked him if those were "cowboy boots." His answer: Do you see any mud or horse manure on these boots?? These are not cowboy boots, these are western dress boots.

Allen
09-10-2023, 06:45
I use to wear (dressy) cowboy boots from my mid 20's---early 30's. Could run a little bit with them on but was a hindrance. Wore them to church even. All polished up and mostly covered by with the pants legs, all you saw was what looked like pointed shoes sticking out.

At the time I had weak ankles and was prone to turning my ankles every so often. The boots gave me support and apparently the muscles in my feet improved while wearing them because I've had no more ankle problems since I stopped wearing them.

dryheat
09-10-2023, 09:34
I do have a pair of 'ropers'. They are slightly raised flat heels with a squared off toe. Totally practical around here. If I step into the desert they don't pick up a hundred cactus needles.

barretcreek
09-10-2023, 10:36
Went to the county GOP Lincoln Day Dinner and our C'Critter Lauren Boebert was there in a black outfit and red stilletos.
Whew!

Phloating Phlasher
09-10-2023, 01:06
That's why they're called "Riding Boots", because they're hard to walk in.

dogtag
09-10-2023, 02:18
I assume the pointed toe of the Cowboy boot is to ease entry into the stirrup.
I assume the pointed toe of a Woman's high heel is to ease entrance into a Man's nuts.

rayg
09-10-2023, 03:58
Lol!