PDA

View Full Version : Why do people have to drive so bloody fast ?

dogtag
09-25-2023, 01:40
Are they all rushing their Wives to Hospital or are
they rushing to a Bar offering "free drinks tomorrow" ?
I know that when I drive through my local small town
observing a speed limit of 35, before long I have a convoy
formed up behind me (this is Not during rush hours).
One guy couldn't wait and overtook me past a solid
yellow line only to attract the attention of a lurking Cop.
I wonder how much that hurry up cost him ?
On the Freeway doing the limit, or a little over, drivers
fly past on the left. Everyone is in a frantic hurry to get
somewhere else. I don't dawdle, I drive at normal speeds
but it seems I'm the lone ranger.
In this story they're rear ending Amish Horse drawn
carriages.

https://nypost.com/2023/09/25/two-killed-two-injured-after-car-crash-with-amish-buggy/

Allen
09-25-2023, 04:02
The TV station at a nearby city decided they would do a live segment on speeders in school zones. They set up shop and started bad mouthing about how careless and irresponsible it was to speed in a school area where kids are crossing the streets and walking about.

Then, here came the traffic. Those in the cars were driving the limit or below. Those that were blowing the paint off the signs were the school bus drivers. Being broadcast live they couldn't edit anything and had to eat crow. Made my day.

I see no harm in exceeding the speed limits on the interstate hwys. After all Germany has the autobahn. I drive around 80 and fight to keep it that low. Meanwhile I get passed by almost everyone over time.

What gets me are all the people yaking in their phones at 4am driving down the interstate. They just left home WTF are they talking to?

Johnny P
09-25-2023, 04:34
It's all about the revenue from tickets. Haven't had a ticket in many years, but the last one was coming home from a gun show. Nearing a small town doing 58 in a 55. State trooper did a Broderick Crawford on me and issued a ticket for 68. Went back to the small town, went before the judge and explained I had seen the trooper and was doing 58, but not 68. Judge said 58 was still speeding, pay up.

Now don't go anywhere without my radar detector.

dogtag
09-25-2023, 04:36
They might be pretending. It's to let you know how important they are.

Allen
09-25-2023, 04:45
My last ticket was 51 in a 55mph zone.

It was written up as 51 in a 35mph zone. Cost was over $200 about 15 years ago. Fighting the charges would have just cost me double at least so I paid up. That cop is no longer employed here though--guess maybe enough others complained.

These days all police cars have radar yet when a cop writes a ticket there is no radar print out verifying speed. It is just rounded up and written down on the ticket. A cop can write down anything.

dogtag
09-25-2023, 05:59
Years ago I had a Toyota Station Wagon with commercial plates.
I parked in a yellow zone next to a Truck only zone. Meter Maid
wrote me a ticket with me standing there. I pointed to the curb
markings but she didn't care. I went to Court. Judge asked why
I didn't park on the other side of the street. I said there's no parking
there at all - all red curbs. He dismissed the case. Victory is sweet.

Johnny P
09-25-2023, 07:29
Paying the ticket is the cheap part. The insurance company is the one that rakes in the dough. Now there are law offices that specialize in getting traffic tickets reduced so that you don't get points on your insurance. Expensive but usually cheaper in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyEJIOZdQ5M

lyman
09-25-2023, 07:38
I seem to run in a 6 or 7 yr cycle

got pulled a few months ago,
and got a ticket,
78 in a 55, my fault, and admitted it

buddy and I were running our mouths and I had no idea how fast I was going
sad part is it is a known speed trap area, ,

in VA 20 is wreckless, however the State Trooper was nice enough to just write it for speeding (lower fine, no court needed) since I was honest and polite, (always helps)
after he chewed may arse a bit,

and I got pulled again, in another area, a few weeks later for supposedly 61 in a 45, but the deputy let me go , I think he knew he was wrong, or felt sorry for me, or whatever,
I am fairly sure I was not going that fast, ,

either way, I go with the flow now, and hopefully will not have another in 4 or 5 yrs, if at all,

however , I do have a hot foot, learned that from , of all people, my Mother and Grandmother

Major Tom
09-26-2023, 05:23
It's scary to see a young driver doing 80+ in a 55 zone talking on the phone and steering with their feet! Most observed speeders I have seen are women!

dryheat
09-26-2023, 09:29
People drive like maniacs in AZ. I blame California. We are also number one in the nation for road rage incidents. That ranges from yelling and flipping someone off to shooting. I few months back I was standing alone the road getting some pictures of wild horses. A guy slowed down to take a look and this giant GMC laid on the horn. It was as loud as a train horn. Jackasses.

Allen
09-26-2023, 11:40
Jackasses.

No, you were right the first time. They're horses.

I can see fault both ways. The guy with the horn should have slowed down and passed if necessary. The guy that slowed down to look at the horses probably should have pulled over.

Just like the fat women who shop at WalMart and plug up the aisle's, you can't drive like you're the only one on the highway.

pcox
09-26-2023, 04:33
People drive like maniacs in AZ. I blame California. We are also number one in the nation for road rage incidents. That ranges from yelling and flipping someone off to shooting. I few months back I was standing alone the road getting some pictures of wild horses. A guy slowed down to take a look and this giant GMC laid on the horn. It was as loud as a train horn. Jackasses.

I just pulled into Williams Az from MO. Set the cruise on 75 at the Ok border and had a nice three day drive. Only problem was that a lot of folks like to drive 85+ and the right hand lane of I40 is pretty beat up. I stayed in the left lane when I could and just moved over when needed. Beautiful scenery all the way.

JimF
09-27-2023, 06:25
. . . . and the right hand lane of I40 is pretty beat up. I stayed in the left lane when I could and just moved over when needed. . . . . .

I do the same . . . . .
It’s all those overweight trucks that are chewing up the right-hand lane.

Years back, the I-84 E in N.Y. Had a right lane that gave you a “thump Thump” every 20 feet of travel.

On a weekday, with no traffic, I actually pulled over and stopped (out in the middle of nowhere) and pulled out a ruler and MEASURED the 20-ft. Slabs of concrete . . . .

There was a 4” high edge to the next slab!

Tires and rims took a hell of a beating!

Since has been rectified!

Allen
09-27-2023, 02:47
One reason I drive @ 80 mph on the interstate only (which is a little slower than most) is I was once hit in the back while driving @ 70. It was 4am, I was on my way to work, I had just entered the interstate. It was still dark of course. I saw these headlights come up on me in my mirror and disappear, then BAM.

I was in my Ford Taurus, the car that hit me was a Pontiac Lemans made by Daewoo (S. Korea). The tiny car had no grill left, both front fenders bowed out and the hood buckled up. My car didn't even have a scratch on the rubber bumper.

S.A. Boggs
09-28-2023, 04:47
Some people like to go fast to their ticket/hospital/morgue. When I drive my daughter's Edge it is horrible, in my F150 they stay away.