PDA

View Full Version : My mechanics advice.

S.A. Boggs
10-04-2023, 06:20
This time of the year I have my mechanic check over my F150 and make sure it is winterized. Mike said that I need to get rid of it as it is just wasting away. I no longer haul wood as I can't physically do it and I drive very little. According to his records I am "averaging." about 40 miles per week. I am the proverbial only to church and not much more.
He said I can most likely get about 10/m in our local market. I only have 4/m in it as I bought it right several years ago. Any advice?
Sam

Allen
10-04-2023, 07:41
Don't forget the ride of the F-150, the height and the fact it's already paid off.

Apparently you have no or few problems getting in and out of it and @ only 40 miles per week who cares about MPG?

Cars are no longer made. Do you plan on going back to an SUV? If so what is the advantage? Per your mechanic, any thing you buy will be wasting away.

Simple question: What would you replace it with?

S.A. Boggs
10-04-2023, 08:38
Jeep
Sam

Johnny P
10-04-2023, 09:06
Although I have had several in between, I kept my 2002 Jeep Overland, so I would have something with 4WD. Just recently rolled over on 100,000 miles and still going strong. Keep a battery maintainer on it, and ready to go at a moment's notice. My zero turn mower is diesel, and I haul the diesel cans in it as no matter how careful you are filling the cans, they are going to stink.

Allen
10-04-2023, 10:21
Jeep
Sam

Cherokee I assume like you had before?

S.A. Boggs
10-04-2023, 11:39
Cherokee I assume like you had before?

Mom had a Cherokee, Samantha the Grand and I had the Wrangler. I prefer the Wrangler being smaller and easier for this old man in parking lots. With my 150, it is the "Give me 40 acres to turn this thing around" reality.
Sam

S.A. Boggs
10-05-2023, 07:48
Told my wife that I was looking to buy this "Jeep" from a local. Funny look on my wife's face this time.
Sam

Allen
10-05-2023, 08:42
My Dad had a couple of those. We played with them as kids. Dad would buy one around $25, make repairs, paint it, then sell them for $100. Back in the late 50's early 60's they were plentiful. Buyers didn't want the military marking so much.

JohnMOhio
10-05-2023, 09:33
If you can enclose it, why not?

dryheat
10-05-2023, 09:47
My Ford Edge get's the same milage as my Ram. The Edge is registered as a truck on the paperwork. I don't want to park the Ram at the grocery store unless it's way out field. I am considering one of the little golf cart cars. I am one mile from the grocery store and elsewhere. I take the truck to the mtns. Ahh, but, I am resistant to driving old man, or kiddy cars. IF, I get hit by some knit wit I stand a little better chance of survival in the car(a real car).

lyman
10-06-2023, 07:45
My Dad had a couple of those. We played with them as kids. Dad would buy one around $25, make repairs, paint it, then sell them for $100. Back in the late 50's early 60's they were plentiful. Buyers didn't want the military marking so much.

that on is a bit different,

probably made by Ford IIRC, the 151's are all independent suspension,

we had an uncut AF one for a bit here at the shop,

it was a very smooth riding vehicle on the neighborhood roads, and up and down the power lines,

rode much better than my 82 Toyota 4x4

Allen
10-06-2023, 07:53
that on is a bit different,

probably made by Ford IIRC, the 151's are all independent suspension,

we had an uncut AF one for a bit here at the shop,

it was a very smooth riding vehicle on the neighborhood roads, and up and down the power lines,

rode much better than my 82 Toyota 4x4

Over time I think my Dad bought and sold 3 or 4. They were all made by Willis. I didn't even know Ford made jeeps till many years later. All we saw back then in my area were Willis made jeeps.

kj47
10-06-2023, 08:06
If I remember correctly the difference between Ford & Willis was one used timing gears & the other used a timing chain. These were WW2 era Jeeps.