PDA

View Full Version : Home Security Recommendations Wanted

Oyaji
10-12-2023, 05:10
Last night or early this morning some thieving SOBs hopped over the backyard wall and broke into my locked TuffShed. Apparently, they peered through the one shed window, liked what they saw and decided to steal some property. They got away with a DeWalt 10" miter saw, a M77 magnesium worm drive Skilsaw and a 20v cordless reciprocating saw. Another Dewalt 12" miter saw, a tool box, bicycle and some other gear was left behind. I have since boarded up the window so that one cannot see inside the shed and will be installing a couple heavy-duty, theft resistant hasps and padlocks on the shed door. My next door neighbor's outdoor shed was also broken into however, nothing was taken from it. I also plan on adding some additional outdoor lighting. Police report has been filed with local PD. Total value of property loss is probably not worth reporting on my homeowner's insurance policy given a large deductible. What I am interested in from you guys are some serious recommendations for a type of effective security system not only for the outdoor shed but, the house as well. I do have a big 125 lb male Labrador; unfortunately, he proved to be useless, and no doubt befriended the perps. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

dogtag
10-12-2023, 05:47
Some movement sensor lights. Maybe a more alert
Mutt to keep lab company and bite thieve's ankles.
On your door locks, replace the small screws with giant ones.
Geese are great alerters.

Allen
10-12-2023, 06:16
Sounds like you're already heading in the right direction. There's just so much you can do. I would put up "beware of the dog" signs and "smile you're on camera" signs. They won't work on the previous thief but others might be frightened enough to pass over your home to someone else.

I know this is why you bought the shed in the first place but the more expensive tools might best be kept inside the house, at least for a while.

Oyaji
10-12-2023, 06:45
Thought about installing some up ended, spikes, 16d nails or 3" drywall screws embedded in construction adhesive to the top of the cinder block wall as a deterrent. Have seen this done in other countries I've visited; some use bits of broken glass and barbwire atop their block walls. Kinda worried about liability issues in doing so though.

lyman
10-12-2023, 07:06
I use ARLO,

I have a few cameras set up at my shop, and they let me know what is around

neighbors cats alert the system

basically a camera that alerts me when something goes by,
some outside,
some inside

works well, and reasonable

RED
10-12-2023, 07:07
I have not locked my house even when I was gone for a week in the past 5 years. It would not keep thieves from busting the rear patio door with a rock and walk in. My reloading stuff is in a small shed that has electricity and air conditioner, but no locks.
Most of my guns are in a hidden safe at my sons house. I keep a old 12 gauge by my bed loaded with #8 birdshot.

If you are threatened you are living in the wrong place. My advice is GET OUT OF DODGE. Small towns dont have these problems.

lyman
10-12-2023, 07:12
I have not locked my house even when I was gone for a week in the past 5 years. It would not keep thieves from busting the rear patio door with a rock and walk in. My reloading stuff is in a small shed that has electricity and air conditioner, but no locks.
Most of my guns are in a hidden safe at my sons house. I keep a old single shot 12 gauge by my bed loaded with #8 birdshot.

If you are threatened you are living in the wrong place. My advice is GET OUT OF DODGE. Small towns dont have these problems.

both true, and not true,

small towns , at least those in some states, have meth problem worse than cities,

however, and I'll use me as an example, have a business that the avg joe does not know exist,

my high school buddy used to live down the road and they never locked a door,

some folks nearby do every night

I do, and been here for over 20 yrs , (lock car doors every day) and no issues
neighbors, including some cops, have had cars broken into by the crackheads looking for change,

I have not,

simply cause I had that issue at our first house and learnt,,,,

Allen
10-12-2023, 07:31
These days small towns don't stay small.

S.A. Boggs
10-13-2023, 07:30
Thought about installing some up ended, spikes, 16d nails or 3" drywall screws embedded in construction adhesive to the top of the cinder block wall as a deterrent. Have seen this done in other countries I've visited; some use bits of broken glass and barbwire atop their block walls. Kinda worried about liability issues in doing so though.
DON'T as you will be opening yourself up to criminal charges if they get hurt robbing you. Signs are ineffective as they will just ignore them, therefore a waste of money. Motion sensor lights are good, if you will respond to them. However, animals will set them off, giving many false alarms. Cameras coving your perimeter are good, especially if attached to an alarm inside your home to warn you. Personally, I would set an electric animal fence INSIDE of your wall where the perp's will have to climb over it and can't be seen from the outside. I have one that is rated to repel a bear and is rated for 25 miles.
Trick is to think like a crook and your local prosecutor as he/she is the one you will have to deal with if a crook is hurt in committing a crime. Sad world we now live in and will only get worse.
Sam

RED
10-13-2023, 11:17
These days small towns don't stay small.

When I graduated from high school in 1963 the population of Rogers, AR was about 5,500 people. Now it is 71,000.

In 2018 I moved into a small town in Northwest AR and bought a newly built 1,286 square foot in a town with 4,500 population. The appraised value after 5 years is up 50 percent more than I paid because people want out of big towns!

Allen
10-13-2023, 11:54
When I graduated from high school in 1963 the population of Rogers, AR was about 5,500 people. Now it is 71,000.

In 2018 I moved into a small town in Northwest AR and bought a newly built 1,286 square foot in a town with 4,500 population. The appraised value after 5 years is up 50 percent more than I paid because people want out of big towns!

????

Doesn't that kinda support what I said?

I wish our town was still small. I remember when it had a pop of about 250. I don't know how many are here now but it is referred to as a city now.

People move in from where ever the fk. Buy only new homes as to destroy property. Then about 6 months later they get foreclosed on and move out only for others to come in and repeat the process over and over.

I use to know everyone. Now I practically know no one.

Allen
10-17-2023, 12:12
In a slightly related manner i needed an extra key for my Kubota tractor. The local hardware store didn't have key blanks to match so I took my key to the Kubota dealer. There, I asked if they could grind me a new key. The man behind the counter simply turned around and grabbed one off the shelf.

It's a one key fits all.

Same for my Toro, Scag and Craftsman mowers. You can buy the keys off of ebay.

So, tractor, mower and other items that have an ignition system are super easy to steal. Just drive them away.

Oyaji
10-18-2023, 07:30
In a slightly related manner i needed an extra key for my Kubota tractor. The local hardware store didn't have key blanks to match so I took my key to the Kubota dealer. There, I asked if they could grind me a new key. The man behind the counter simply turned around and grabbed one off the shelf.

It's a one key fits all.

Same for my Toro, Scag and Craftsman mowers. You can buy the keys off of ebay.

So, tractor, mower and other items that have an ignition system are super easy to steal. Just drive them away.

Hyster forklift keys are the same way.......one key operates all the other equipment.

Mark in Ottawa
10-19-2023, 07:48
Motion detector lights can help if only because when they go on, they are likely to wake you up.

Allen
10-19-2023, 07:53
Motion detector lights can help if only because when they go on, they are likely to wake you up.

But, instead of turning on lights they can trigger a loud sound, either outside or inside.

Vern Humphrey
10-23-2023, 10:03
I rely on a pit bull, an Ithaca Model 37 and a reputation for being a mean SOB.

barretcreek
10-23-2023, 01:49
I rely on a pit bull, an Ithaca Model 37 and a reputation for being a mean SOB.

+1

S.A. Boggs
10-23-2023, 03:16
You could get yourself a timber rattler.
Sam

Vern Humphrey
10-23-2023, 04:35
You could get yourself a timber rattler.
Sam

And it would save a lot of hassle. When the police want to know what happened to the guy lying dead on your doorstep, you could say, "'Hain't my doin'. Snake made his own decision."

rayg
10-23-2023, 04:44
They will dust the snake for finger prints and find yours oops maybe not as who would handle a rattler, Lol

Allen
10-23-2023, 04:52
A friend of mine who owns a gun shop actually considered that. Someone gave him three 5' Eastern Diamondback rattlers that he kept in a cage. He figured he'd put up lots of warning signs and turn them loose at closing to guard the place like watchdogs. Then it dawned on him, how would he get back into his own shop with loose snakes.

Vern Humphrey
10-23-2023, 05:08
They will dust the snake for finger prints and find yours oops maybe not as who would handle a rattler, Lol

Certainly not the guy who does the dusting!