lyman
11-21-2023, 06:56
so,

we are good for another 3 years,
as in the site has be renewed, and is good to go,

after that, do we keep it going?

serious question here,

Pat asked me this question in an email a few days ago,
she had told me in the past that as long as the Major's legacy was maintained, I could do what I wanted on this site,

and I promised her not to mess with that at all,

so the question is,

do we continue? or is it time to let the site go?

no need to panic, not going anywhere now, unless there is some catastrophic site failure, (doubt that will happen,, since the bots have been prevented from joining,)

so I am asking, what do you , the membership, want to do?

some random thoughts,

I am not a software geek, everything I have learned here has basically been trial and error re the software,
I have access to sysad stuff, I think, so that may change, (for me, not you) but I have no plans to change much if anything,

I was told we could open up the forum to advertisers, that may be enough to pay for itself over the years, , but do you want Ad's on the site?

tell me what you think,

in this post, or email at rlc1903@gmail.com

Allen
11-21-2023, 08:02
Just throwing stuff out here or thinking out loud.

The last time or the only time Pat asked for money I believe it was $250 for 3 years so it's costing about $100 per year to operate here. Not much money especially when you spread it out but there aren't many of us left here either.

If we go to advertisement I would rather see it go to the form of sponsors like we had before though some of them got irate that we weren't buying from them and the forum wasn't reaching out to others who would buy. Still, at $100 per year (spread out) sponsorship would not cost them much. Anyone interested will do their own research and find there's not a lot of traffic here but cost should be super low.

I don't want to see pop-ups or other forms of interuption type advertising.

Overall, I would like to see this forum continue as self supporting if we continue. We can't require or force people to contribute because I feel the IRS will get involved and see us as making a profit. I may be wrong but I think it would bring attention and cause books to have to be kept for taxes or proving we don't have to pay taxes. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

A lot can happen over the next 3 years but we need to have a game plan.

Tony-in-NH
11-22-2023, 04:18
Continue

Major Tom
11-22-2023, 04:21
This forum is my first 'go to' forum. Please keep it as it is. Pop up ads irritate me to no end!

JimF
11-22-2023, 06:50
I vote to keep ‘er going as is.

bruce
11-22-2023, 06:57
I come to this site every morning and routinely throughout the day. For that privilege, I can pay. $300 to keep the site up is not a big deal. Count me in for whatever is decided. If I can afford it, I will pay up. Otherwise, I'll need to step away. Sincerely. bruce.

lyman
11-22-2023, 07:05
we are already paid up for the next 3 yrs,
cost was $335. and I covered it, I would expect it to go up a few dollars next time like it did this time, but then again the site host gave me a discount of 10% since I paid on the phone,

no donations needed, etc etc,

this will be a long term conversation, so take your time and think it out,

and thanks for the input so far

S.A. Boggs
11-22-2023, 07:49
I agree with the others with one exception and that is this thread be made into a sticky. This forum is like the old days, and I enjoy and learn much from it. I will do what I can to help with this site and those who are here.:1948:
Sam

tom gray
11-22-2023, 10:00
I would to keep it going. Let me know if I can help.
Tom

kj47
11-22-2023, 11:45
Keep it going, will donate when needed.On it every day.

Mark in Ottawa
11-22-2023, 12:43
I seem to recall that about three or four years ago there was a need for some money to pay for the site and that the participants were willing and able to make a fairly modest donation to raise the necessary money. I would prefer to try that route again rather than clutter up the site with ads. I think that a typical donation was in the order of $25, not a lot of money for a site that gives so many of us a lot of pleasure.

On a personal note, I have a US dollar account in Florida so even though I'm Canadian, it was easy to send a cheque. Other non-Americans can use a bank money order or some similar financial instrument

RED
11-22-2023, 02:33
NO ADS, period. I would personally give $250 per year to keep ads off the site!

Tom Trevor
11-22-2023, 03:33
Small price to pay for the fine folks and information here.

dogtag
11-22-2023, 04:12
Keep it going. No Ads. For the small number of us who contribute,
$ 25 each should cover it.
OR, a dollar from all those who never contribute would also do it.
Whether I'll be here in three years is a toss up.

S.A. Boggs
11-22-2023, 06:12
Keep it going. No Ads. For the small number of us who contribute,
$ 25 each should cover it.
OR, a dollar from all those who never contribute would also do it.
Whether I'll be here in three years is a toss up.

Leave the women alone and you might just be here.
Sam

dryheat
11-22-2023, 06:32
I have a lot love for Culvers. I've posted here for a number of years. I hope it lives. But things change. I'd like it to survive after all of us old guys are gone. Keeping the original stance is important. Kind of like Mt. Rushmore. Of course, the faces keep their mouths shut. It's important that future readers get to read some of my old posts. 300$ supports a internet channel? That's probably gonna change.
I think this sight is getting to be an old folks home and needs some carb kleener.

dogtag
11-22-2023, 07:25
There's been nothing posted on the political forum since the 14th.

M1Tommy
11-27-2023, 09:54
I definitely appreciate the forum as it is run.
Tommy

Art
11-27-2023, 10:37
This is the only on line site I contribute to. Unfortunately there are lots of members but few regular contributors and they are definitely pretty much the old folks. I do think some of the seldom used forums need to be consolidated with others as was done years ago with the small bore forum but that's above my pay grade.

If I'm around and "with it" in three years I'd like to have it up but I do understand the issues.

Phloating Phlasher
11-27-2023, 11:41
I'd vote to keep it going & would contribute to keep it if asked.