PDA

View Full Version : Dead Air Silencers

RED
12-11-2023, 01:58
Does anyone have experience or done business with this suppressor manufacturer? I had decided to buy a Dead Air Mask suppressor for my dedicated .22 LR AR upper. I was in a store to start the process of arranging an account to obtain the required tax stamp when the stores manager flatly refused to order from the Dead Air people. Lots of obscene words followed so I tried Google and found some good reviews of the above device.

Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Allen
12-11-2023, 05:58
Will your 22 AR function with subsonic ammo? My thoughts on silencing any 22LR is you're still going to hear the sonic "crack".

RED
12-11-2023, 06:10
Will your 22 AR function with subsonic ammo? My thoughts on silencing any 22LR is you're still going to hear the sonic "crack".

Yes, my CMMG upper eats subsonic 45 gr ammo.

Johnny P
12-11-2023, 07:14
Not sure who made the one my son bought, but after all the expense, getting all the ducks in a row, and waiting it hardly works at all. We even fired some of the .22 Aguila Colibri, which is nothing more than a light bullet and the priming compound, and it still makes noise. Be sure and read reports on them first.

Major Tom
12-12-2023, 11:16
People relate silencers to movies where the sound is just a PPFFFF! Doesn't work that way.

Johnny P
12-12-2023, 04:21
Wasn't expecting a ppffff! Shooting near a wood line, and the sound bounced off the wood line the same with or without the suppressor. All ammo was sub-sonic.

RED
12-12-2023, 04:21
People relate silencers to movies where the sound is just a PPFFFF! Doesn't work that way.

I went to a machine gun shoot at Hot Springs AR back around 1995. I have always thouht the MAC was junk. The guy next to me had several suppressed sub guns. He had a MAC -10 in 9MM. I had always thought the MACs were junk. I saw him (not 15 yards away) fire dozens of rounds at a refrigerator. All you could hear was the bolt cycling and the bullet impacting the target.

My son has a suppressed Beretta 92, it is also very quiet. My take is there is a heckuva difference between suppressors, much like there is a ton of difference between barrel qualities.

I have seen complaints that suppressors are getting that they essentially don't work. I don't want to pay $350 + $200 taxes for something that doesn't work!

Just my $.02.

Phloating Phlasher
12-12-2023, 04:31
Exactly.
I was testing a .22 sleeved center-fire rifle recently. Out of curiosity I downloaded & calibrated a dB meter app.
I tried 3 kinds of .22RF ammo.
CCI Mini mag (supersonic)
Remington Thunderbolt (supersonic)
&
CCI std vel, just barely subsonic.
Rounds were fired at 50 yds into a 5-ply backstop with a paper target aiming point.
This was to separate impact noise from firing signature for recording purposes.
The dB meter was placed in several locations in relation to the muzzle at a standard distance of 15'.
The Thunderbolt & Mini-Mag was recording an average of 19dB above ambient.
The Std Vel was recording 9dB.
In all cases bullet impact was equal to, or slightly above muzzle report.

RED
12-13-2023, 07:33
Thanks!

lyman
12-14-2023, 02:31
I sell Dead Air stuff,

good company, no issues no drama and I known the local rep for probably close to 35 yrs,

RED, let me know if you have any specific questions, and I will ask him or see if he can get the rep in your are to reach out to you,

and if you would , PM me the store's name, I'll let him know DA is getting bad publicity and see if he can resolve, it it needs to be,

as far as my personal stuff, I dont own a silencer, however I do have an old Sparrow in stock that I have attached to a GSG 1911 in 22 and it is very very quiet,

I plan on screwing it on my Smith 15-22 one day, just to see if it is as quiet, just for giggles, but have not done so yet,

RED
12-14-2023, 04:10
I sell Dead Air stuff,

good company, no issues no drama and I known the local rep for probably close to 35 yrs,

RED, let me know if you have any specific questions, and I will ask him or see if he can get the rep in your are to reach out to you,

and if you would , PM me the store's name, I'll let him know DA is getting bad publicity and see if he can resolve, it it needs to be,

as far as my personal stuff, I dont own a silencer, however I do have an old Sparrow in stock that I have attached to a GSG 1911 in 22 and it is very very quiet,

I plan on screwing it on my Smith 15-22 one day, just to see if it is as quiet, just for giggles, but have not done so yet,

I sent you a PM. If you got it, let me know!

lyman
12-17-2023, 11:39
gimme a day or so RED, meanwhile I did foreward your info to the local guy I know, he will pass it up the chain,

lyman
12-17-2023, 11:40
Tim sent me this vid, hope it posts here,

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO8pLMvQkCczNx6QaftNJeuAbjvote2amiisXfXcSg-6x7q4t3eE3ZY-NKk5s-9yA/photo/AF1QipOtRxiH94l1unsPNDVxPMCn6Yo_8pYyvN9KO29-?key=T01wNlk0NTZwVXZOajZHclA2NjN3RHFCRTMtcE5B