PDA

View Full Version : This Ship might be too big for it's Boats ...

dogtag
01-04-2024, 12:14
This thing is enormous and I'm wondering if thought
has been given as to how many Ports of Call can
handle it. Visually I can figure twenty lifeboats, hardly
enough for 7,600 passengers should she run into an
iceberg. I just hope those stateroom cushions float.
In case you wonder, no, I don't give these designers
credit for "thinking of everything" as the race to be
the first to build a ship bigger than Montana might
test the limits of Murphy's Law.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-12927267/Inside-worlds-biggest-cruise-ship-graphic-tells-need-know-

Allen
01-04-2024, 01:01
Who wants to be on a ship with 7600 people regardless of size? Sure, these nice big ships are full of amenities but what good are they when everything is so packed and crowded?

At the rate the ship sizes are increasing one day you may be able to board a ship, walk the length of the deck and exit in another country. Think of the fuel they would save.

I fear the next cruise ship that is sunk will be done by missiles, mines, or torpedo's. If so, there may not be time for a lifeboat.

Also, according to some, icebergs no longer exist--they melted 20 years ago and caused all the seas to rise.

Phloating Phlasher
01-04-2024, 04:25
Its an absolute pig of the seas. But its pax capacity is LOWER than some smaller ships.
BUT international maritime laws demand it have "boats" for all aboard.
It doesn't define "boats" though. There may be many-many of the packaged inflatables that we cant easily see. But something must be there.

I still wouldn't want to sail on or cruise in her though.
Cunard Princess 2 1/2 years, Golden Odyssey 3 months, Cunard Countess, 9 months.

barretcreek
01-04-2024, 05:38
Floating Bio Warfare lab. Maybe Fauci is Cruise Director.

Major Tom
01-05-2024, 09:28
On some 'boats' those super deluxe rooms only include a porthole.

dogtag
01-05-2024, 11:44
POSH - Port out, starboard home

Allen
01-05-2024, 12:48
On some 'boats' those super deluxe rooms only include a porthole.

I've read where people who took cruises recommended you pay extra for a room with a balcony. Some say sitting on the balcony looking at the water and being away from everyone else was the best part of the cruise.

Phloating Phlasher
01-06-2024, 01:29
Urban myth I'm afraid.
I worked on Cunard for over 3 years.
Many lower decks cabins have/had cover-able (with metal shutters) portholes. It was a safety against wild seas.
Best cabin on the ship is (surprisingly) the cheapest!
Inside, low decks, midships.
The ONLY thing you do in your cabin is the "SSes", Shave, Shower, Sleep, Sex, & "Bathroom" (sorry, cleaned it up as much as possible), everything else is done outside. Don't think of them as a "home" but a "motel Room".

RED
01-06-2024, 05:04
.... so, according to some, icebergs no longer exist--they melted 20 years ago and caused all the seas to rise.

Almost fill up a glass with water and add ice until it is full to the rim. Watch the ice melt and the water starts rising, right?

Allen
01-06-2024, 05:37
.... so, according to some, icebergs no longer exist--they melted 20 years ago and caused all the seas to rise.

Almost fill up a glass with water and add ice until it is full to the rim. Watch the ice melt and the water starts rising, right?

Yup

Guam is going to capsize too.

Phloating Phlasher
01-07-2024, 01:40
Nope, dropping. water expands when it freezes, that's why pipes burst.

dogtag
01-07-2024, 02:43
Just imagine the panic if a terrorist cut Australia's mooring lines.

Phloating Phlasher
01-07-2024, 03:22
Still attached to Tazzie. not much would happen. :icon_lol: