PDA

View Full Version : Poll

Art
01-18-2024, 05:29
If you have a rifle/shotgun for home defense what is it? See Poll above. It it's something besides the above choices just leave a response if you want.

dogtag
01-19-2024, 01:33
I have all of them. Plus cap n balls, Hawken, air rifles, axes.
Can't be too careful.

Allen
01-19-2024, 02:00
I have all of them. Plus cap n balls, Hawken, air rifles, axes.
Can't be too careful.

But which one do you prefer for a home defense gun?

My preference is revolvers but the poll is for long guns.

Art
01-19-2024, 02:51

That's mine also, my nightstand gun is a S&W Model 27-2 Highway Patrolman.

I do have an appropriate long gun but it is there in the event of a natural catastrophic event like another big hurricane where things go south for weeks or longer. I am really interested in the results of this though, so far, and it is early, there is only one assault rifle clone on the list. I really don't like the term assault rifle for these civilianized versions, the folks who call them "modern sporting firearms" I think are more on track.

bruce
01-19-2024, 04:00
I've got a few old surplus military rifles, all chambered in .30-40 Krag or .30-06 Springfield or .308 Winchester. Any one of these would be fine. Probably would end up using one of my M-1 rifles w/ some nice M-2 ball. Sincerely. bruce.

Allen
01-19-2024, 05:32
I really don't like the term assault rifle for these civilianized versions, the folks who call them "modern sporting firearms" I think are more on track.

"Battle rifle". There's really no such thing as an "assault rifle".

I like the S&W 27's. Nice big "N" frame with a smooth action.

dogtag
01-19-2024, 05:55

12 gauge riot Mossberg. But depends where I am at the time.
In my desk is an early colt 32, upstairs is a 7mm Mauser, in the
kitchen is a carving knife.

JohnMOhio
01-19-2024, 06:37
Have to agree with dogtag. Large knife in the kitchen, 9mm near the computer along with a M1 carbine. Bedroom, 1911 in 45 ACP. Basement Garand.

Allen
01-19-2024, 10:37
I am really interested in the results of this though, so far, and it is early, there is only one assault rifle clone on the list.

With so many having issues with this website right now this poll may not be representative but you're right, it is still early.

Doc Sharptail
01-19-2024, 11:43
I don't know! The only c/f rifle I have that is short enough to maneuver in here is my FR-8, and that's still pushing it on length.
Odd that the compact stoner variants aren't mentioned (yet).
About the only thing I have in here short enough for a 360 degree swing is my 94-22-M.
I think it's favorite 50 gr. JHP would speak with authority at the very limited ranges in here.
So I didn't cast a vote, just based on not really having a category that fits me.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Art
01-20-2024, 06:54
I don't know! The only c/f rifle I have that is short enough to maneuver in here is my FR-8, and that's still pushing it on length.
Odd that the compact stoner variants aren't mentioned (yet).
About the only thing I have in here short enough for a 360 degree swing is my 94-22-M.
I think it's favorite 50 gr. JHP would speak with authority at the very limited ranges in here.
So I didn't cast a vote, just based on not really having a category that fits me.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

I think your Model 94-22 would fit in the pistol caliber carbine category. Those are fine rifles by the way. I sort of regret not having bought one when they were available.

one shot
01-20-2024, 07:09
mak 90

Oyaji
01-20-2024, 06:50
That's mine also, my nightstand gun is a S&W Model 27-2 Highway Patrolman.

Art, I think you really meant to say that your Smith & Wesson Highway Patrolman is a Model 28-2 vs a Model 27-2. Notwithstanding, a Smith N-frame is always a good choice.

dogtag
01-20-2024, 07:09
The weapon you use for defence depends on what
you're defending against. If it's night and I'm
in bed it's whatever is under the pillow. I'd be in
a fix here as under my pillow right now is a 22.
If it's daytime and I see him or them coming, it's
the 12 gauge with 8 in the tube and one chambered.
If it's a whole gang armed to the teeth, It's running shoes.

Allen
01-20-2024, 08:03
Art, I think you really meant to say that your Smith & Wesson Highway Patrolman is a Model 28-2 vs a Model 27-2. Notwithstanding, a Smith N-frame is always a good choice.

+1

Model 27 has a checkered top strap and barrel (polished blue or nickel). Model 28 (Highway Patrolman) has a dull matt blue finish. Model 27's usually come with the "3 T's".

Art
01-20-2024, 08:27
+1

Model 27 has a checkered top strap and barrel (polished blue or nickel). Model 28 (Highway Patrolman) has a dull matt blue finish. Model 27's usually come with the "3 T's".

You are correct.

I've owned both. I've been finding new homes for some of my guns and sold the Model 27-2 to the husband of a cousin of mine a couple of years ago. My model 28-2 nightstand gun is a surplus Texas highway patrol revolver. It might not be as pretty as the Model 27, and it had an active life with the honorable scars to prove it, before I got it, but it shoots just as well, maybe better than the the Model 27 I had which is pictured below. The grips are S&W replacements since the oversize grips the Model 27 had didn't fit my hand well. It's a sweet, sweet gun. I was especially pleased to get it with a 5" barrel. The target was shot at 10 yards double action with Remington .357 Magnum 125 gr. semi jacketed hollow points, my self defense load of choice.

It doesn't take much to get me running on about the big Smiths.

Allen
01-20-2024, 09:38
It doesn't take much to get me running on about the big Smiths.

Nor me as I just proved.

I've got a 29 blued (6 1/2") and a 629 Classic SS (6"). My brother has 2 28's (6") and his prior duty gun, a 57 (4" nickel).

Nice gun by the way. Looks like you kept the target hammer and trigger on it.

Art
01-21-2024, 05:06
Nor me as I just proved.

I've got a 29 blued (6 1/2") and a 629 Classic SS (6"). My brother has 2 28's (6") and his prior duty gun, a 57 (4" nickel).

Nice gun by the way. Looks like you kept the target hammer and trigger on it.

Yep, I didn't want to alter the gun. The target trigger doesn't make it as nice to shoot double action but that wasn't the idea. Skeeter Skelton once said that he thought the 5" barreled Model 27 was the most balanced and attractive revolver ever made. I think he had something there. When I discovered the gun was a 5" it definately sweetened the pot for me. The revolver came in the original mahogany presentation case with all the tools and papers. The original owner had only put five rounds through it in the almost 30 years he owned it, not unusual with these guns. The fellow I sold it to got the grips on the gun, the original grips and the Threepersons holster I had El Paso Saddelry make for it.

Note on the poll, I'm not real surprised with the results so far considering the membership here but I am surprised that not one AR platform rifle has shown up. Shotguns seem to rule the day with these fellows, which is not too surprising.

Allen
01-21-2024, 06:15
Note on the poll, I'm not real surprised with the results so far considering the membership here but I am surprised that not one AR platform rifle has shown up. Shotguns seem to rule the day with these fellows, which is not too surprising.

Not everyone can log on or navigate. Some don't seem to be visiting due to the website problems we're having now.

AR's are popular guns. I have a couple of M-4's but it is the last gun I would keep by my nightstand. Penetration going through the walls into other areas is one problem. The main issue for me would be there simply isn't much coming out the end of the barrel. A 22 cal 55 grain spire point bullet that cannot expand or a HP that won't expand. A person can be shot by such and not even know they were hit.

Art
01-21-2024, 06:58
Not everyone can log on or navigate. Some don't seem to be visiting due to the website problems we're having now.

I understand about the website issues. Every now and then it goes all wonky on me and I won't be able to get in for a few days, sometimes a week or more.

barretcreek
01-21-2024, 08:43
Art,
PM sent.

barretcreek
01-21-2024, 09:14
16" 300 B/O is a M1 carbine with cheaper ammo.

I've got a 6" 28, 4" 629, 6"25 (ACP) 6"57 (nickel) and a 696-1. True, it's an L-frame but has the right size hole in the barrel.

dogtag
01-21-2024, 11:59
I stay signed in - maybe that's why I have had no problems ?

lyman
01-26-2024, 07:17
Shop has a Riot shotgun stashed on each end, and a few handguns (including what I normally carry)

home, a shotgun on each floor, and handgun near the bed, and a few here and there,

Phloating Phlasher
02-05-2024, 05:09
OTHER
HANDGUN
Revolver\self-loader. (pick one)

seagoatami
03-02-2024, 01:00
I have a 380 cal. automatic pistol and a 38 cal. revolver, plus a small hunting knife 5" blade, very very sharp under my pillows plus 4 assorted rifles and shot guns hanging on the wall loaded and ready to go, plus a 120lb. rottie sleeping at the foot of the bed. the reason for the small calibers is, I am responsible for where the shots end up. I am not in any danger from anything larger than a man {that I know of} least ways thats my reasoning

S.A. Boggs
03-20-2024, 10:05
I have my own D.E.W. line that is pretty good, my Wolf dogs.
Sam

RED
03-21-2024, 11:16
In my home I have a open bore 12 ga. Loaded with #8 bird shot. It is in a corner within reach from my bed. I also have updated to a PX-2 9MM with 18+1, hollow points near the front door.

In my car I have 2 hand guns in the console. A CZ-82, 9MM Makarov (12-1) and a .38 S&W 638 Airweight. If I carry concealed I use the S&W loaded with +P ammo.

The 12 ga. is loaded with 8 shot to insure the shot to keep the damage in my home and not the neighbors.

Former Cav
04-09-2024, 12:42
I used to live in AZ and I HAD a spitfire which is a full auto 45 ACP, the poor man's thompson. It would dump the 30 round Grease Gun magazine in about 3-4 seconds.
I wonder what would happen if someone used a FULL auto weapon in a self defense type situation where it was LEGAL to own and it was LEGALLY owned.
I can just see a liberal jury having "fun with that"
I sold it BEFORE I moved to a class 3 dealer. I am quite sure I was being "baited" by the ATF as people were offering me twice what it was worth and I told them.... you have to PAY the dealer who will do the transfer in ADVANCE in FULL, and you have to fill out all the paper work and get approved by (at the time) your local sheriff, the ATF, and the FBI. then you wait 7 months to a year to see if you can have it and the tax stamp is 200 dollars PER STATE. (AZ to AZ transfer = 200$,,, AZ to TX or elsewhere = 400$)
anyhow. FOOD for thought.
I have a 1911 in 45 ACP with speer gold dot 230 JHP's on me 16/7 and on my nightstand the other 8/7