PDA

View Full Version : Going jeep shopping

S.A. Boggs
05-02-2024, 05:29
Need a vehicle, prefer Jeep's and have owned many...still have a hat.
Sam

Allen
05-02-2024, 05:59
Well if you have the hat, by all means ...

Best I remember, you had a Cherokee. If you don't find one you may look at Craigslist.

barretcreek
05-03-2024, 05:51
Getting my '80 CJ-5 out of deep hibernation. Finally found brackets for buckets and get rid of the bench seat.

S.A. Boggs
05-05-2024, 10:27
Looked at new, I am not that stupid! While on the lot I found one that reminds me of my first cruiser, all black. 2019 Cherokee Latitude Plus High-Altitude Package, 99,800 miles. Loaded and under book, one owner sold new from dealer. Clear car fax, oil changed, alignment and new road tires. $21,561 with a 60-month warranty [my idea, not theirs].
Vehicle goes to my toy checker this week for his okeydokey, without it I don't sign on the crooked line.
Sam

Allen
05-05-2024, 11:37
Looked at new, I am not that stupid! While on the lot I found one that reminds me of my first cruiser, all black. 2019 Cherokee Latitude Plus High-Altitude Package, 99,800 miles. Loaded and under book, one owner sold new from dealer. Clear car fax, oil changed, alignment and new road tires. $21,561 with a 60-month warranty [my idea, not theirs].
Vehicle goes to my toy checker this week for his okeydokey, without it I don't sign on the crooked line.
Sam

Have him check out the tail/brake lights. My sister had a 2006 (?) Cherokee that had incurable electrical problems. She traded it in towards a new Cherokee probably around 2019.

Glad you found something. Car salesmen can be a pain. Sounds like a good price with the warranty and tires.

Former Cav
05-09-2024, 07:38
I called a toyota dealer and asked them about putting in seat extender brackets (so you can the seat back further, wife's knees do not bend since her nerve damage caused by getting poisoned at a restaurant).
They said that would "void the warranty"
HUH ?? these people are INSANE. So, NO sale !!

lyman
05-15-2024, 09:23
I've not posted much if at all about my 2005 E350 issues, that are supposedly finally resolved,
after I ended up buying a 2023 T-250 to replace it,

brand spanking new, even as a basic cargo van it has factory bells and whistles, auto headlamps and dimmer, rain sensing wipers, lane assist (turned that off) and a small back up camera, gets better mileage (18) than the diesel it replaced, (the 2005)

and only 2500 miles on it and it got its first recall!!

w00t

S.A. Boggs
05-15-2024, 10:09
My mechanic said to pass on this Jeep with the small engine. The hunt goes on, in the meantime doing some work to keep the Ford a little longer.
Sam

Allen
05-15-2024, 01:27
only 2500 miles on it and it got its first recall!!

At least Ford issued a recall and will fix it. They warranted a headlight problem on my wife's 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis with over 120,000 miles on it and long after Mercury was gone.

Some auto manf get raving reviews over never issuing recalls but it is mostly because they don't/won't or can't cure the problems. Remember the infamous Toyota sticking accelerators that they excused as carpet getting bunched up around the gas pedal?

lyman
05-16-2024, 06:21
the recall was for lube or oil in the rear differential,

you would think that would be part of a checklist item for shipment or for when received at a dealer and before releasing it to the customer

Allen
05-16-2024, 09:15
the recall was for lube or oil in the rear differential,

you would think that would be part of a checklist item for shipment or for when received at a dealer and before releasing it to the customer

Yes you would. If the recall is over dry differentials that should be a serious QC issue for Ford.

How many other manf would have admitted to it though, blaming worn out bearings and diff noise to neglected maintenance by the owner?

Long ago (1980's) I worked for a local GM dealership as a service advisor. One GM recall was for different types of bolts attaching the shocks. There were no known problems, just something GM was leary of. The local police force had just purchased a fleet of Chev Malibu's. We set up a deal where they could bring in 5 at a time and swap them out for 5 brought in the previous day that had been repaired in order to not disrupt their operations so much.

Former Cav
05-16-2024, 02:15
The ford dealer here as not been taking care of us. We bought the vehicle in AZ when we lived there (new). Here in TX, the dealers want us to "drop it off for 5 weeks and wait" they won't give us an appointment!!
I will be buying a Toyota. They LOST a good customer, We had a full size bronco, 2 expeditions, and 2 Lincoln town cars, and the 2020 explorer platinum that we are having troubles with, all bought NEW.

S.A. Boggs
05-17-2024, 06:13
The ford dealer here as not been taking care of us. We bought the vehicle in AZ when we lived there (new). Here in TX, the dealers want us to "drop it off for 5 weeks and wait" they won't give us an appointment!!
I will be buying a Toyota. They LOST a good customer, We had a full size bronco, 2 expeditions, and 2 Lincoln town cars, and the 2020 explorer platinum that we are having troubles with, all bought NEW.

Call FORD customer service and talk to them stating your ongoing problem.
Sam

Allen
05-17-2024, 07:30
Call FORD customer service and talk to them stating your ongoing problem.
Sam

+1

Recalls come from the manufactures, not the local dealers. Dealers get very little compensation for making warranty and recall claims so they do not push it.

If worse comes to worse factory reps normally make scheduled visits to the dealerships. Call the service dept and ask "when". Sometimes you can meet with them and discuss your problem if help isn't offered any other way.

Johnny P
05-19-2024, 04:50
Kept my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with 4.7 HO engine, bought new in early 2003. Real 4WD with low range. Have owned others since then, but kept it for 4WD just in case. Rolled over on 100,000 recently with really no problems at all except the crappy blend doors in the heating/AC system. Entire dash and console has to come out the get to them unless you cut through the air duct behind the glove compartment. I haven't drummed up the courage to cut into it yet.

Use it to pull out my Kubota diesel zero turn, because when they stick, they are stuck.

Allen
05-19-2024, 06:30
Kept my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with 4.7 HO engine, bought new in early 2003. Real 4WD with low range. Have owned others since then, but kept it for 4WD just in case. Rolled over on 100,000 recently with really no problems at all except the crappy blend doors in the heating/AC system. Entire dash and console has to come out the get to them unless you cut through the air duct behind the glove compartment. I haven't drummed up the courage to cut into it yet.

Use it to pull out my Kubota diesel zero turn, because when they stick, they are stuck.

Best to just pay someone to do it, otherwise if you're like me, we'll just never get around to it. I mean, really, who wants to even start a project like that? Blend doors, actuators and evaporator core replacement normally involve having to pull the dash out. I had to have it done to my F-150. Cost for the evap core and actuators was around $1300 but worth it to me. I have a/c and no clicking actuator noises.

Problem is finding someone who is willing and competent enough to do the job. You may have to take it to a dealer.

Johnny P
05-20-2024, 07:59
The last time I had it done the dealer wanted $1000 labor and an independent garage did it for $600. Since then they have come out with aftermarket aluminum doors instead of the soon to break plastic doors, but in the past 5 years probably haven't put 500 miles on it so just may let it stay that way.

Allen
06-03-2024, 06:22
At least Ford issued a recall and will fix it. They warranted a headlight problem on my wife's 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis with over 120,000 miles on it and long after Mercury was gone.

Some auto manf get raving reviews over never issuing recalls but it is mostly because they don't/won't or can't cure the problems. Remember the infamous Toyota sticking accelerators that they excused as carpet getting bunched up around the gas pedal?

Also, some manf lie (big time) to make sales.

I remember Honda lying for years over MPG data. Their speedometers registered faster than the vehicle was traveling to make it look look like they had more performance and also to log additional miles to impose longevity and better MPG than actual.

VW lied for many years over the emissions of their diesel eng vehicles.

With Toyota there was the mentioned sticking accelerator issue than was never admitted to and now this:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/toyota-apologizes-cheating-vehicle-testing-102117211.html

tmark
06-03-2024, 07:52
Do you remember the problem some car manufacturers had with air bags?

Allen
06-03-2024, 09:19
Do you remember the problem some car manufacturers had with air bags?

Yes. I didn't bring this up though because so many manf were involved and did not make these bags. The last I heard recalls were issued but the dealerships could not get the replacement air bags so the hopes are people will just forget about it and eventually trade in the affected models.

Check the list on the bottom to see if your vehicle is involved if need be.

This was a global issue and should have been dealt with more severely than it was.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/car-recalls-defects/takata-airbag-recall-everything-you-need-to-know-a1060713669/

S.A. Boggs
06-05-2024, 03:25
Checking out a 2019 Jeep Compass Trail Hawk with all the bells and whistles for 17,500 and <65,000 miles. Color is blue and the pictures appear good, not stock pics. Local dealer has it, along with another with higher mileage and lower cost.:banana100:
Sam

Allen
06-05-2024, 05:12
Checking out a 2019 Jeep Compass Trail Hawk with all the bells and whistles for 17,500 and <65,000 miles. Color is blue and the pictures appear good, not stock pics. Local dealer has it, along with another with higher mileage and lower cost.:banana100:
Sam

Read the reviews/complaints. I've read about a lot of problems with these and they don't have good resale value.

But, history constantly changes and all the reviews now may be "great".

Upon further reading the 2019 was among the best of the 2nd generation as far as reliability goes. I'm sure your mechanic will advise you one way or the other.

lyman
06-08-2024, 11:48
JEEP

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket,

so says a friend that has a relatively new one,

S.A. Boggs
06-08-2024, 04:20
This is not my first radio and there are NO cheap Jeep's, but man are they fun! F150 are expensive to maintain and gas. 18mpg/10 in 4x4 with the habit of blowing plugs and having to have the plug relined. Lost two @ $100 a pop!
Sam

Allen
06-08-2024, 04:41
Sam, we wish only the best for you and yes, there are faults with most every make vehicle.

Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep has NOT been an American owned/engineered product since 1998 so don't bank every thing now against how good (or bad) your previous Jeeps were.

Glad you found something that interested you. Good luck with it.

S.A. Boggs
06-09-2024, 03:37
I have had some good ones and ones that were less than stellar. I know there will be problems, that is a fact of my life, and I will deal with what I am dealt. I take care of my vehicles and do a great deal of preventive Maintenace to keep them running. From day one, my vehicles have a logbook that I keep in the vehicle to record Maintenace and or any issues.
My first major purchase are better tires suited for snow, which we often get in abundance. The tires I have, if the tread is still good, will be put into my shed for warm weather use. Vehicle has Penzoil and I will continue with this brand, as I have used it in my F150.
Sam

jon_norstog
06-16-2024, 10:10
My old friend Grog had an M-38 with a 289 V-8, 4-speed, transfer case and positrack. THAT was a Jeep!

jn

Allen
06-16-2024, 12:12
My old friend Grog had an M-38 with a 289 V-8, 4-speed, transfer case and positrack. THAT was a Jeep!

jn

Sounds like it.

A time proven reliable engine, no computer, no a/c, probably no heater even, no smog crap, basic vehicle.

Back when AMC was in business and owned Jeep at the time, they made a model (CJ-5) with an optional 304 V8. The bodies were bad about rusting then but the ones that survived are in demand now.