PDA

View Full Version : Convert from adjustable to original M16 buttstock

Major Tom
05-26-2024, 09:45
My Dpms Panther AR15 has the adjustable buttstock and I would like to replace it with a M16 style buttstock.
Is this possible using the recoil tube from the adjustable? I really don't like the adjustable one.
Also, any recommendations where to buy a M16 style buttstock?
Thanks a lot

lyman
05-26-2024, 10:43
no, you will need a standard Receiver Extension, plus the buttstock, spacer if an A2 is used, and proper screw

Major Tom
05-27-2024, 06:15
Thank you lyman

Major Tom
06-18-2024, 11:38
no, you will need a standard Receiver Extension, plus the buttstock, spacer if an A2 is used, and proper screw

Lyman, what is a "spacer"?
How do I know if I have an "A2"?
And, what "screw" is used? Where does the "screw" attach?
Yeah, I'm totally confused!

lyman
06-19-2024, 05:48
MT,

field strip the rifle,
take off the collapsible stock,
then remover the receiver extension (most call this the buffer tube)
be sure to capture the spring and detent that holds the buffer in, as well as the spring and detent for the rear take down pin

screw in the new rifle length receiver extension, , be sure to install the buffer retaining detent and spring,
tighten to handtight and a few snug tugs on a wrench (the rear should have 2 flats to use a wrench)

install the spacer , detent and spring (for the rear take down pin) and then slide the stock over the extention, holding the spring down
put the screw in the top hole of the butt plate, it will pass thru the spacer and into the threaded hole in the reciever extension

note,
A1 and A2 use the same receiver extensions,
but A2 stocks are 5\8's of an inch longer, so you need a longer screw and the spacer,

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-stocks-parts/ar-15-a2-stock-spacer/

let me know if you need one, I have a xxxxton of them, but do not have any screws

Major Tom
06-21-2024, 01:48
Thank you Lyman, I'm grateful!
The 'old' receiver extension is very tight and there are no 'wrench flats'. I ordered a ar15 multi tool that hopefully will unscrew that. I did not know that the top screw in the butt plate went into the receiver extension

JohnMOhio
06-21-2024, 09:17
Hi Major,
Why not contact DPMS, tell them what you have and what you want to do. I am sure they have all the parts.

Let us know how you make out with this conversion.

Major Tom
06-25-2024, 05:19
I've pretty much quit trying. I will probably sell the M16 butt stock. Just too much hassle for an old dude like me!

lyman
06-25-2024, 09:37
if you were closer I would do it for you,

maybe this will help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OsuO4zjKvU&t=29s