PDA

View Full Version : My back yard

Allen
05-31-2024, 05:23
The back part of it. These are Mimosa trees. The largest one about 60' or so high.

bruce
06-01-2024, 05:35
Beautiful!!! Sincerely. bruce.

Allen
06-01-2024, 06:02
Beautiful!!! Sincerely. bruce.

Thanks. The blooms smell nice too.

Oyaji
06-01-2024, 06:36
I had to study up on Mimosa trees and this is what I found.........

https://www.environmentbuddy.com/plants-and-trees/growing-mimosa-trees-facts-pros-and-cons/

Allen
06-01-2024, 07:13
The seeds probably are poisonous but on an episode of "Moonshiners" they made moonshine from the blooms. They are considered to be a weed but I've never had any problems with them being invasive or any more messy than other trees. Unwanted offspring's are few and easy to kill. Mowing under them takes care of the delicate leaves and blooms that fall. The tree pictured is about 20 years old. They DO grow fast.

I grew up with them---they were always easy to climb. Single trunks that fork out early and close to the ground.

They grow easily from seeds but are extremely difficult to transplant. I've never seen them for sale at any nursery. My wife post pictures of our yard plants on Facebook so I've dug and potted a few to give to those who want them. They like full sun and an open space. Few people these days have room for them though.

Major Tom
06-01-2024, 07:48
I thought "mimosa" was a drink made with champaign and orange juice. Maybe that was 'mermosa'.

Allen
06-01-2024, 07:57
I thought "mimosa" was a drink made with champaign and orange juice. Maybe that was 'mermosa'.

Nope. Spelling is the same. I suspect the tree came first.

You could say the same about a "screwdriver", "hurricane", or "white Russian".

Allen
06-01-2024, 09:56
While on the subject of ornate trees, I have a tree called Chinese Flame Tree. It is about 45' high and is very showy when it blooms and makes seeds. Trouble is, it is VERY invasive. I didn't realize that when I planted it. These need to be grown out in an open field or pasture all by themself where the surrounding ground is farmed or mowed.

The trees start off with bright green leaves, followed by a coverage of small yellow flowers, then pink seed pods, then they lose their leaves in the late fall.

The seed pods resemble Japanese Lanterns. Colorful pink but each seed pod contains 2 small black seeds the size of BB's. These seeds WILL germinate anywhere they fall--in gutters, flower pots, the forks of trees, fence rows, under and in shrubbery.

Some years my lawn is carpeted by these young trees being more abundant than the grass. These die by mowing. If I abandoned my home for 20 years the yard would become a solid block of wood due to these trees sprouting up EVERYWHERE.

I put up with the tree due to it's appearance but when I get too old to maintain the yard and spray gallons of herbicide every year to combat the new ones it will have to come down.

These are file photo's from Yahoo. It is not my tree but represent well what mine looks like.

S.A. Boggs
06-01-2024, 01:32
I am just the reverse; I love my solitude and my trees. My cabin cannot be seen from the main road and little from our private road. The added benefit is very little grass to maintain, save for some of my roses down by the mouth of the driveway. If I get a chance I will post some pictures. Our roof is a green metal one and hard to see from the air, save for when it snows.
Sam

Allen
06-01-2024, 02:36
Good thing you have your dogs to alert you if someone is on your property.

You need some guinea's to alert your dogs. All the farmers here use to have them for that purpose and the eggs.

S.A. Boggs
06-02-2024, 05:52
Good thing you have your dogs to alert you if someone is on your property.

You need some guinea's to alert your dogs. All the farmers here use to have them for that purpose and the eggs.
There are camera's just about everywhere, and little gets past my dog's ears.
Sam