Default Remember all the advances in transportation?

Yep, it amazed Americans when horse and buggies became extinct.

Propeller driven air planes were replaced by jets!

Now our simple jets are obsolete!

"The Paradoxal hypersonic jet concept is designed to travel at Mach 24 (nearly 16,000 mph). At this speed, it can fly out of JFK and land at Heathrow, London, covering a distance of 3,450 miles in 11 minutes. Yes, you read that right."

I had a horse when I was young---never cared to ride them though. They have a brain of their own.

I read a little on the Paradoxal hypersonic jet but didn't get any answers to my thoughts: If man can only withstand a G force of around mach 3 to 3.5 how can they withstand mach 24? I suppose the answer is that the plane leaves the earths atmosphere and travels like a rocket beyond that.. Up to 70K feet or so is limited to the mach 3.

Another thought is: will titanium be required to make these? If so, we don't have much of it here and in the past had to get it from Russia.

Also wonder if any form of anti-gravitational concept will be incorporated here.

I'll bet there are many spies working for Boeing on this.
    Last edited by Allen; 07-04-2024 at 08:57.

I don't fly anymore, so that is irrelevent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    I don't fly anymore, so that is irrelevent to me.
    Same here.....last time I boarded an airliner was probably 25 years ago. Flew numerous times across the Pacific and Indian Oceans; so much so, that I've lost count. Have flown in both military and civilian charter aircraft. Don't know the exact number of hours but, it's a bunch. Another thing I detest is the TSA screening flunkies at the airports. I refuse to have anything to do with them. Furthermore, there's no way I would want to be cooped up in an airborne aluminum cylinder, shoulder-to-shoulder and nuts-to-butts with ill mannered and obnoxious excuses for a human beings. Last time I traveled commercially was three years ago and that was by AmTrak California to Washington State and return for my daughter-in-law's funeral. Nowadays if I can't get to my destination by automobile in 3 hours or less, I ain't going!

With all the liquid oxygen on board you won't have time to worry about it if anything happens.

I was saying the other day that just because science has advanced to the point that we can now do certain things that were previously impossible or in the realm of science fiction, it does not necessarily mean that we should actually do them. Travel at that speed is a good example. Another is the rapid development and implementation of Artificial Intelligence (AI). My fear is that it is developing so fast that little thought has been given to the implications and effects of its wide use or to the development of appropriate controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    I was saying the other day that just because science has advanced to the point that we can now do certain things that were previously impossible or in the realm of science fiction, it does not necessarily mean that we should actually do them.
    Visiting the Titanic in a plastic sub is an example.

Seems the industry can't keep the planes flying that it has been building for years, much less something out of science fiction.

9. Default

" If man can only withstand a G force of around mach 3 to 3.5 how can they withstand mach 24?"
    "G" force is created during violent maneuvering. Right now we're both experiencing +1"G", natural ground level gravity pull. "G" numbers are multiples of "normal +1"G"ravity. Most healthy people can do up to about +7 or +8 "G", or about -3 to -4 "G". There are physical things you can do, Clenching & breathing Hard, & inflatable suits triggered during high "G" maneuvers automatically to stop the blood from being pooled in the extremities.
    "G" is an acceleration.
    Mach numbers are something else entirely.
    Mach 1.0 is simply traveling at the speed of sound (in the atmospheric conditions surrounding you, which vary.) Mach 2.0 is twice that, mach 3.0 three times & so on. You won't even notice anything (assuming you're in an enclosed cabin.).

I did kinda blur mach and G force together.

I meant the G force typically generated by traveling at mach 3.