Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

There isn't any unless you're accelerating up to Mach 3.Then its dependent on your aircraft & thrust available.

Mach 3???? How many fighter jets were capable of mach 3+?

Rare, the fastest jets were not fighters.

In a 1960's F-4 Phantom, i experienced over mach 2.2 over a dozen times. It was always just a maintenance flight test!

In our dog fight training (think of Top Gun) super sonic turning was never easier or better than .9 mach maneuvers.

Mach 3 ? The SR-71. Though not a fighter it did have to outrun missiles. Top speed estimated at Mach 3.2. Though the speed may not be as critical the plane does have to accelerate to that speed thus the G force. The plane was capable of more and that info (if known) is still classified. Plus, there was the heat problem.

Yes, most fighters that I've read about have a top speed of mach 2.5 or less including the latest and greatest.

I wonder if some of the engineering of this mach 24 aircraft is based upon the concept of the TR3B (look it up) which is said to be capable of mach 9 (if real).
    Last edited by Allen; 07-05-2024 at 09:17.

In 1972 I was a "STAR" radar controller with 6, T-39 air trainers off the Georgia coast training Radar Intercept Officers.

A odd super sonic aircraft interred the restricted area. It was too high and too fast for any of the T-39's to lock it up.

I reported the incident... and received zero returns.