1. Default Electronic scale

Anyone using an electronic scale? Not interested in an electronic measure,just a scale for a backup to check the beam balance.

Have a RCBS electronic scale. It has performed with nothing but excellent service. No complaints whatsoever. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

I have a Lyman digital that is always on my bench, primarily for segregating brass and bullets before loading. Whatta Hobby!

Scale 1.jpgScale.jpg
    Last edited by nf1e; 07-15-2024 at 02:04.

Just throwing my 2 cents in. Anything that gives a digital readout should be checked against another instrument every so often.

Having worked with lab equipment for years digital readout devices are usually correct but when they aren't you don't always know or suspect. Scales usually come with sample weights for calibration. The weights may be a few grams or ounces and should be checked as often as you can stand.

Most reloaders have their old trustworthy manual scales. Every so many rounds a powder charge should be weighed manually against the elec scales.

In the original post barretcreek inquired about using the elec scales as a backup against the manual but so many go the opposite direction and use the quicker more convienent elec scales as the primary measure.

5. Default

I have an old, ancient even, PACT 9v Battery-powered one.
    It does a 5-point CAL on startup & under test & I've never had a problem with it. I have a set of Lyman check weights & periodically run them just to be sure.
    A/C powered ones are susceptible to "line noise" & things like fluorescent lights can effect them.
    If you use an a/c powered one only use it on a dedicated line. Other than that no problems I love it!

Keep your smart phones away from your electrical scales. Battery and plug ins.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Blog Entries

Electronic scale is used only as a reference calibrated with known weights: used to measure cases and bullets only.

My 83 yr old Pacific powder balance calibrated with RCBS weights, once properly calibrated, to set up my Lyman 55 powder measure, then every 11th powder drop measured with the blance.
    Last edited by PWC; 07-16-2024 at 11:02.

8. Default

Basically what I do. But after testing the digital against the balance beam & finding no difference in accuracy or repeatability I just use the digital & check its Cal at the beginning & end of the run. Just to be sure.

Powder Dispenser: Harrell's Custom 90 or Harrell's Premium. I have the Custom 90 and I find it very accurate.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.