Default "Old" equipment.

I noticed that my 550-powder powder measure is letting some WC-844 slip thru the sides. Called Dillon and they said to send it back to see if the thing needs replaced under warranty. Heck it is kinda new, only been using it since 1985.
    Sam

Blog Entries

I use a Redding , or a Forster powder measure,

I have only used the Dillon a few times (550) to do plinking ammo,

done a ton of 45 on it without issues,

Just put in my "old" Pacific to stop the drip.
    Sam

4. Default

Small (with spacer) powder bar or large without?

Blog Entries

Sam, with that title, it begs the question "how old is your reloading equipment"? or at least, what is the oldest piece you own?

I'll start; I have an 83+ year old single stage Pacific press with .38 and 30-06 cali er specific rams. It now has RCBS ram with universal shell holder to allow multi caliber brass.

Also a Pacific powder balance not a SCALE as pictured modern day. Both press and scale are pictured in Sharpe's book "The Complete Book of Reloading". Put a known weight in the pan, adjust the beam weight for zero, remove the weight in the pan and add powder til the beam zeros.

Then I set up my orange Lyman 55 powder measure until I get consistent powder drops. Measure/checkered 10th drop.

My press is preWW2, and has the Spangle add on large and small primer attch. This is all I used when I was actively reloading; never had need for automation or hi volume.

Forgot, I also have a unbranded inside chamfer tool with a brown, varnished wood handle. Also a black Herter press with adapter for modern dies, but no caliber specific rams.
    Last edited by PWC; 08-06-2024 at 07:38.

Blog Entries

my Dillons are all 90's vintage

my Co Ax is brown, and likely late 50's or early 60's vintage (got this from a retired doc that shot hi power with a 1903,,,)
    I have an old CH O press and a Texan C press ,
    the CH is cast iron, the Texan cast alloy,
    guessing all are 40's?

maybe older,

just recently sold a Hollywood turrent, that was about as big as a dorm fridge,

guessing 20's vintage

The term "old" was in reference to self and not inclined towards others. I started out with a Lee hand press, then Pacific graduating to Hornady. Turret press was Lyman, then to Dillon with an early 550B [which I still use].
    Sam