Thread: Musings

Default Musings

I have been going thru brass that I have "stashed" away for some future processing and the day is here. Rifle I am limiting to 5.56, Pistol is 9mm Parabellum, .357 Sig, 40 S&W, and my old favorite the .45ACP. Much of the 9 and 40 was Glocked so later I am going to have to get a roller to use this type of brass. Also, I won't have to separate as I do now for my brass.
    Sam

Bringing brass out of the stash is one of my favorite past times for generic loading. Recently, for precision, I have been relying on new brass from Lapua and Starline. Whatta Hobby!

Blog Entries

I had a case failure in a match not long ago, and realized I had no clue how many times it had been reloaded,

perfect example of a case separation,

I had not shot in a long while, and the brass was what was saved from shooting years ago, as well as some estate pickups,

so, all that brass got sold or recycled, and I am almost out of the Black Hills I had stashed , so will be loading up some new brass soon,

got plenty of primers, etc, just need to find time to getter done before the Sept Match

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I had a case failure in a match not long ago, and realized I had no clue how many times it had been reloaded,

perfect example of a case separation,

I had not shot in a long while, and the brass was what was saved from shooting years ago, as well as some estate pickups,

so, all that brass got sold or recycled, and I am almost out of the Black Hills I had stashed , so will be loading up some new brass soon,

got plenty of primers, etc, just need to find time to getter done before the Sept Match
    Back in the day reloading 5.56 I got case head separation on a regular basis, UNTIL I started to use a Wilson Headspace gauge to set my sizing dies. Haven't had a problem and much of my brass is going on 60 years of use.
    Sam

Blog Entries

first on I have ever had,
    I use Forster Bench Rest dies, and have a Wilson case guage, and check them periodically
    trim if needed using a Gracey

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    first on I have ever had,
    I use Forster Bench Rest dies, and have a Wilson case guage, and check them periodically
    trim if needed using a Gracey
    Could it be possible that the brass might have had a small hidden defect?
    Sam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Could it be possible that the brass might have had a small hidden defect?
    Sam
    quite possible, yes,

or reloaded more than it needed to be

as in stuff happens

Setting my goals on Lapua brass for my accuracy rifles. All set for 6.5 Creedmoor and .308. .223 is on back order but I have and order in for 1K anyway. I run 100 rnd batches of other brass and find about 6 for autoloaders and dozens for bolt rifle. Lapua only get used in match chambered rifles and mostly just neck sized. Whatta Hobby!