Thread: Battle Stations movie 1956

Default Battle Stations movie 1956

I've seen this movie several times and the first time I saw it when young, picked up on the "goof" then forgot what movie I saw it in. Tonight I was reminded.

This movie shot in 1956 depicts a repaired U.S. carrier re-joining the pacific fleet near the end of the war in 1945. It is heavily damaged but makes it back to port where the crew receive a huge celebration of their return including a large Navy band. As the band is playing at the end of the movie a brand new 1956 Chevrolet Bel-Air makes it way across the screen in clear view.

I read up a little on this show and some goofs were mentioned but not the large obvious goof at the end.

Yeah, like during a 1800's western movie when you see an airplane going by in the backround. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Yeah, like during a 1800's western movie when you see an airplane going by in the backround. LOL
    Al Gore wasn't born yet to invent everything.

Good flick. First time viewing it today via YouTube. How can you be sure it was a 1956 Chevrolet BelAir at the end of the film? Image appeared blurry to me and I couldn't decipher what brand of auto it was and I certainly know what a '56 Chevy looks like.

What did catch my eye was that some of the images of the carriers seem to be reversed with the ship's island or super structure on the port side of the ship vs the starboard. Japanese WW II carriers were built with the island on the port side but as far as I know, all US Navy carriers had the island on the starboard side.

I made three Vietnam deployments on a WW II built carrier, the Hancock (CVA 19) and can relate to many of the shipboard scenes in the Battle Stations film, particularly the berthing and messing areas as well as the flight deck, hangar bay, wardroom and ready room spaces.

Richard Boone and William Bendix gave excellent performances as Commanding Officer and Flight Deck Boatswain respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    Good flick. First time viewing it today via YouTube. How can you be sure it was a 1956 Chevrolet BelAir at the end of the film? Image appeared blurry to me and I couldn't decipher what brand of auto it was and I certainly know what a '56 Chevy looks like.

What did catch my eye was that some of the images of the carriers seem to be reversed with the ship's island or super structure on the port side of the ship vs the starboard. Japanese WW II carriers were built with the island on the port side but as far as I know, all US Navy carriers had the island on the starboard side.

I made three Vietnam deployments on a WW II built carrier, the Hancock (CVA 19) and can relate to many of the shipboard scenes in the Battle Stations film, particularly the berthing and messing areas as well as the flight deck, hangar bay, wardroom and ready room spaces.

Richard Boone and William Bendix gave excellent performances as Commanding Officer and Flight Deck Boatswain respectively.
    The car image came in pretty clear every time on my TV's. Glad you watched it though. YouTube is the only source sometimes.

I noticed the cabin of the carrier being incorrect too but for some reason didn't think much of it. I guess because I see so much stuff reversed. Perhaps in this case they are portraying a fictitious ship and don't want to be accused of incorrect facts so they show a totally phony ship?

Speaking of reversing the film, I read or saw when the 1997 Titanic movie was made only one side of the ship was built and out of plywood at that. The movie shows both sides but it was made by reversing the films. In the opening scenes where the ship is being loaded and shows surrounding buildings including the White Star Lines building everything was backwards so they had to reverse the film image to show the ship being loaded including passengers on the port side so I guess it was the starboard side that was actually built.

All the interior scenes were made in studios. There was no interior built at all in the ship. I suppose the deck was built too or at least some of it.

I looked this up because my comments above disagree with most of the former articles about the ship being completely built.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/film/genius...tanic-22448754
    Last edited by Allen; 08-10-2024 at 07:41.