Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

After I retired from the Navy in 1988, I had to go to work for a living.
    Last edited by Oyaji; 08-16-2024 at 06:15.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

when I retired I looked to my full time hobbies and claimed "I have 6 Saturdays a week and my job is to have FUN"
    So, I embraced the shooting sports, Pistol, bowling pin matches, RIfle, NRA OTC and Palma, Old Muscle cars, Making homemade beer, DRINKING home made beer with all my shooting friends after a match or just a fun match etc.
    I worked my life as a mechanical (CAD) designer, Manufacturing Engineer, and Mechanical Engr. I was always SALARIED and that meant "lots of FREE overtime" and when it came time for a raise (catch up with inflation) the companies always went into the "austerity mode". I worked half my career as a contractor (temporary or "rent a pencil" or "day & night engineering")
    I NEVER looked back after I retired. I had FOUR GREAT bosses in all those years. That is 12 percent!!!!!!!!!!
    The rest of the time, companies were being bought, sold, outsourced etc due to our wonderful "free trade policies".
    Trump was RIGHT. We had NOTHING BUT DUMMIES negotiating with all the other countries. We gave away A LOT of our good jobs.

The day I retired I flung my wristwatch and didn’t watch to see where it landed. After decades of clock watching I wanted nothing to do with it.
    Still there was no joy. I volunteered for children’s charities. Meetings here. Events there. Phone calls and text messages are a constant. Serving on three boards and President on two of them simultaneously. More stress now than when I was running construction projects and meeting deadlines. Body clock still awakes me at 4:30 am no matter which day of the week.
    Since receiving Fellowship I must wear regalia when I’m at the podium. Can’t bundle up enough in the cold and can’t shed enough layers in the heat.

Months ago I tried to pass the torch. Still trying to back away from the stress. Get some things done around the house that were put on the back burner. Buying a new concrete mixer this week. Replacing concrete steps, patio, and walkways. Just so I can finally relax. Back to where I started. Being a laborer. But this time I can do it at my leisure without watching the clock.

Retirement. Every day is Sunday?
    Oh, I get it. It’s just a joke!
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

8 years ago I was retired medically due to cancer and "learned" a different clock of med taking. Now I get up at 0 dark 30 when my two children need to go find a tree. Can't go back to bed as it might wake the boss, so I snuggle with Elwood in my recliner or go play in the toy room.
    God getting me out of the clinic was the best thing that could have happened to me or most likely I would still be there.

5. Default

Every night is a Friday night, and every day is a Saturday.

I really enjoyed my job, but never missed it a single day.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    I really enjoyed my job, but never missed it a single day.

Same here. I think about my previous job (s) every day but would never want to go back. In fact, I don't see how I even had time for it along with the other things I did around the house. I worked 12hr rotating shifts which took up 16+hrs a day when you include the preparation and driving resulting in about 5hrs sleep a day/night when at home.

Yeah, I don't miss it.