Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sign of the times

1. Default Sign of the times

Last month or so there are more newer vehicles with 'for sale' signs on them. Full size p/u and upscale passenger cars.

Your area?
    Last edited by barretcreek; 08-19-2024 at 07:46.

Not seeing much in the line of auto's yet but seeing real estate prices coming down and those that's been on the market for a while not moving/selling.

What I expect to see soon are numerous zero turn mowers, boats, side x sides and high end motorcycles up for sale.

What I do see on cars is nothing new---people wanting pay off or near new prices on cars and pickups. Problem is most of these vehicles have 1OOK to 15OK miles on them. People are way better off just buying something new. Some of these sellers must drive their cars 24/7 to rack up so many miles over such a short period of time. The owners are finding out that their near new vehicle with 1OOK+ miles is worth less than pay-off so they try to unload it on someone and buy another new car.

Blog Entries

I keep coming out and finding sticky notes on my windshield offefing to buy my 2003 Nissan Frontier king cab, full 6' bed. It only has 87K miles, over coat is in bad shape, and I need to take it in for AC check/charge.

No one will pay me what it's worth to me when I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    No one will pay me what it's worth to me when I need it.
    Yep. Apparently your truck is a sought after model that people want. That doesn't mean they will pay what it is worth though. If they intended to pay a fair price they would just buy one from a dealer or someone that actually had one for sale.

I live beside a busy highway, have a couple of vehicles I don't use much and park them in the shade due to limited carport and shed storage. I have to move them around every so often to keep interest down. If people see one sitting for a couple of weeks w/o being moved they assume it is not wanted and theirs for the asking. Price never comes up in conversation as they simply want them for free.

What I have noticed is folks are keeping their good running vehicles longer vs trading them in on newer ones. My 2002 Corvette with 20,000 miles is a keeper. My 2010 Cadillac SRX with 65,000 miles is going to last me another 5-8 years. I will never buy an electric vehicle!
    Last edited by Major Tom; 08-20-2024 at 04:52.

6. Default

About 80% of the cars rolling off dealer show rooms are leased. A very large number of leased cars are turned back in late summer and early fall.

Blog Entries

and a good percentage of the used car market come from those expired leases, and from the Rental industry,

when I bought my RAV4 last fall, (it was a prior rental) one of the dealers told me the low mileage used cars, as in person owned, not corporate owned, sold so fast they never bothered to put them online, every salesperson had a list of folks looking and once called it was first come first serve,
    as in if you got a call saying they had a low mileage whatever on the lot, you best drop what you are doing and go see, cause they are also calling, others on the list that may get there before you

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    What I do see on cars is nothing new---people wanting pay off or near new prices on cars and pickups. Problem is most of these vehicles have 1OOK to 15OK miles on them. People are way better off just buying something new. Some of these sellers must drive their cars 24/7 to rack up so many miles over such a short period of time. The owners are finding out that their near new vehicle with 1OOK+ miles is worth less than pay-off so they try to unload it on someone and buy another new car.
    Well, rental cars sheds a new light on this too. On a lease agreement you are allowed so many miles. After that you are charged an additional .20-.40 cents (or whatever) a mile. People racking up all these miles may find they have to pay an enormous fee to turn in their vehicles and thus one reason they are wanting so sell them for so much and get out of the lease agreement. I suppose they are allowed to buy/sell them as long as the dealership gets their $.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    What I have noticed is folks are keeping their good running vehicles longer vs trading them in on newer ones. My 2002 Corvette with 20,000 miles is a keeper. My 2010 Cadillac SRX with 65,000 miles is going to last me another 5-8 years. I will never buy an electric vehicle!
    We just purchased a new home here in Harford County, Maryland. We were told by the salesperson that electric chargers for electric vehicle is now standard in new homes!

Quote Originally Posted by tmark View Post
    We were told by the salesperson that electric chargers for electric vehicle is now standard in new homes!
    Does this remind anyone of all those forced Covid vaccination shots?