Thread: Interesting facts sent from JohnMOhio Part 3

Default Interesting facts sent from JohnMOhio Part 3

The last 2 items.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Surprised it wasn't Joe Biden's uncle who developed insulin. You know.....the same uncle that was ultimately eaten by cannibals in New Guinea during the later stages of WW II.

That uncle would have to battle Al Gore too for the claim.

I had an aunt who went into a diabetic coma and nearly died at age 12 (type 1 of course). This was the late 50's and the medical staff in these parts didn't know much about diabetes. None of the hospitals stocked insulin so the word went out. The nearest vial was in Montgomery (middle of the state) and the state troopers relayed a vial (or vials) from car to car from there to here (probably Mobile). There were no or few Interstate highways back then either.

So little was known back then that camps similar to girl scout camps were set up to teach young girls about diabetes, how to cope with it, how to give yourself shots and what foods to avoid. Diet Rite cola became very popular at that time. It was introduced at the camps to girls who had never heard of it and was plentiful--they could drink all they wanted. This was before the days of battery acid TAB. Diet drinks became popular due to the dangers of sugar, not to lose weight. They were the only sweet drinks diabetics could have along with tea and such sweetened with saccharin.

Starting at age 12 she had to give herself shots every day. Not a good thing at any age but think about a child having to do it. She lived till 61 and died of diabetic complications.

Later in life both my Dad and Mom developed type 1 diabetes and had to give themselves the daily shots.
    Last edited by Allen; 09-04-2024 at 04:26.

Wife's had diabetes for last 10 years or so. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. We're both on Metformin and thankfully no insulin shots necessary at this time. My prized big yellow Labrador Retriever, Gunner, was also diagnosed with diabetes and I had to administer insulin injections to him. He would occasionally go into diabetic shock and have seizures and I would have to pour maple pancake syrup into his mouth to have him recover. Eventually had to put him down. I loved that dog and he was with me for 9 years.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54993
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    Wife's had diabetes for last 10 years or so. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. We're both on Metformin and thankfully no insulin shots necessary at this time. My prized big yellow Labrador Retriever, Gunner, was also diagnosed with diabetes and I had to administer insulin injections to him. He would occasionally go into diabetic shock and have seizures and I would have to pour maple pancake syrup into his mouth to have him recover. Eventually had to put him down. I loved that dog and he was with me for 9 years.
    Recently went through a very similar experience with our dog, our 14 year old "puppy". If you have the time, money (to take care of them), and concern, a dog can easily become your best friend. Like me, you will always miss him and like me, probably visualize him everywhere you look.

Thankfully the Metformin is working for you and your wife. Type 2 can be cured or kept under control with such along with diet and exercise. As we age our metabolism changes and we have to adjust for it.

So many people have type 2 and don't know it. Type 1 (shots required) can't be ignored for long.

The man who had the idea for insulin was named Fred Banting. He was a family physician from London Ontario who was upset at losing patients. He approached the head of research at the University of Toronto and asked for a lab and other support to try out his idea for artificial insulin. Summer was coming and the labs would be empty so he agreed to let him have a lab and a medical student to assist. Within weeks they had extracted insulin from dogs but couldn't purify it so the head of research assigned a microbiologist to help. He was able to purify the product which by then was being extracted from cattle. Apart from the story above, one of the first people to be treated was the daughter of the American Secretary of State. Banting became an instant celebrity and he and the head of research were jointly awarded the Nobel prize. Here is where things become very interesting. Both of them were upset that the other two participants were not recognized so Banting shared his part of the prize with his medical student assistant and the Head of Research shared his part with the microbiologist. In addition, Banting was fearful that pharmaceutical companies would exploit the invention and filed a patent for it. He then sold the patent to the University of Toronto for $1 on the condition that it be licenced for production at the lowest possible cost. This sort of thing could not happen now due to the very complex testing and approval processes for new drugs.

Banting was later knighted and became Sir Frederick Banting, one of the last Canadians to be knighted before the rules changed

Banting was a rather interesting individual. He was awarded a Military Cross in World War 1 and was a professional level landscape artist. A man of many parts. He died in a plane crash in WWII
    Last edited by Mark in Ottawa; 09-05-2024 at 10:03.

Blog Entries

Goodo!