Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been exercising my suppressed .22LR

Default Been exercising my suppressed .22LR

A couple of things have surprised me. I had believed that cleaning the can would be the most important thing. Nope, cleaning the gun is more important. The chamber and extractors dirty up quickly especially in the pistol. I have a cheap TX22 pistol and a CMMG dedicated AR upper. There is only 1 brand of sub sonic ammo that operates the actions most of the time. Winchester .sub sonic 22LR will run 150 rounds through the AR before failing to eject. The pistol will dirty up after 10-12 rounds.

It is still fun to shoot these guns. I switch the can back and forth. I want to buy another can but my wallet says 'not yet.'

150 rounds can come quickly when you're having fun. Would a quick blast of WD40 clean things enough to continue till you could clean it more thoroughly?

WD 40 would might gunk it up more.

Blog Entries

WD40 is horrible on firearms, never use it,

Try Birchwood Casey's Gun Scrubber or brake cleaner followed up with a shot of Rem-Oil aerosol.

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    WD40 is horrible on firearms, never use it,
    How? I've used it all my life as a bore cleaner (with a brush) and used Vaseline as a rust preventer on the exterior surfaces. I've never had any ill effect from either.
    Last edited by Allen; 09-13-2024 at 07:06.

7. Default

A friend of mine did this with an Ithaca 37.
    When I bought it it had trigger problems & hang-fires.
    I removed an amazing amount of sludge & hard "varnish-like" stuff from inside it & it immediately started working properly.
    I imagine using it to clean a bore & patching out removes most of it but hosing down the action & trigger leaves it in there to gum up badly.
    Last edited by Phloating Phlasher; 09-13-2024 at 09:24.

Casey's Gun Scrubber is great stuff!

There's a lot of good gun cleaners. Like most of you, I've tried them all. The point I was trying to make was suggesting something quick, simple and convenient in a spray can to be able to continue shooting since the original message indicated the weapon may be jamming after 150 rounds, outside while shooting, not laying on the gun bench in a dozen pieces while cleaning.

WD40 is a very light penetrating oil with solvents.
    Last edited by Allen; 09-14-2024 at 05:23.

10. Default

Its actually a water dispersant, No 40.