Blog Entries

Default Help understanding

A longgunner asks please:
    Handguns...what is a good small concealable DA/SA revolver, .38 to .44 cal, 3" +/- bbl with xposed hammer? Don't understand the alphabetical sizing...j k l m

Derringer = belly gun no matter the cal. (nope)

What revolver fits the size of an open hand kinda like the Walther PP series?

Next up pocket or pocket holster? (I know, I know, hammer or nub for S/A)

What are the alphabet sizes, small to large, with the below considerations/reccommdation for each.
    Cals?
    IWB or OWB comfort?
    Concealability?

Lotta real estate here.

I will open with the alphabet you posted. Not into Colts much and new/newer stock has been out of production for some time now.

S&W J frame (small) 22's, 32 Long, 38 special.
    S&W K and L frame (medium) 22's, 32's, 38 specials and 357's.
    S&W N frame (large) 357's, 41mag, 44 special, 44mag.

Only the J frame with a 2" barrel would probably fit in the palm. An exception would be a S&W 19 or 66 (K frame) with the 2 1/2" barrel. Newer models are out that I no longer keep up with.

I personally like the Rossi model 88's SS with a 2" barrel. They are very similar to the old S&W model 60's (J frame). I have bought a couple of Taurus 85's too (Rossi sold out to Taurus).

All I did here was open a can of worms. Hopefully some of your questions were answered and other folks will comment further.

Blog Entries

Allen, thank you for 'splaining the alphabet guns. Didn't think there 'd be such overlap in cals. I only used my palm as a frame of ref.

Blog Entries

for pocket carry, get a 'sticky holster' basically a sleeve, or a proper leather (Kramer is good for a J frame)
    they are made to be not easy to get out the pocket, as in stick there, helping you pull the handgun, not the holster,

J Frame in 38, is one of my carry choices, (Mod 40 centennial, no exposed hammer)
    you can get model 38, in 38 special,, with a hammer shroud,

auto wise I mostly carry a Seecamp LWS 32, with a leather holster in the front pocket,

the K frame snubbs and Colt Detective size (cannot remember the frame letter) are a tad bit bigger,

PWC
    Go to a retail place that also has a range. Look over the size your interested in. Ask if they have a rental in that firearm your considering. See how you able to shoot it. Make your decision then or keep looking. It all comes down to personal preference, how it fits you and if you can be accurate with it.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.