Default The Old Wild West

Something a little different for the chit kickers (literally).

Watching old westerns and reading articles I am saying and assuming that the old wild west during the gold rush days resulted in:

There was no power and electricity was just coming around in the large cites and for the rich so lamp oil was used. Lighting at night was poor and many fires occurred because of the lamps being knocked over or broken.

Water was very scarce on the prairie. Many farmers and ranchers went under because of this. Cold beer advertised at the saloons was later revised to cool beer since there was no ice during the hot months. Beer had to be cooled submerged in a water well, creek or a tub of water. Neither was really much cooler. Ice was brought in from the mountain regions covered with hay but during hot weather didn't last long of course. Prairie areas had no ice tipped mountains either. Water could only be frozen during the winter when there wasn't as much need for it.

I was watching an old episode of Gunsmoke the other night. It was the peak of summer on the prairie. Matt went to visit and was offered some "ice cold buttermilk". The milk was in a metal pitcher on a table in a one room shack. That milk would have had to be around 100 degree's in real life.

Bath water had to be heated (if at all) using wood fired stoves. Baths were considered a luxury by many. It was common for men to bathe only once a month or so. In movies and on TV the women are almost always portrayed as being petite and lovely models. Looking at actual old photos many of them didn't look much better than the men and probably didn't smell any better.

The streets in the towns were dirt. Horses crapped and peed everywhere. The crap was seldom removed. Often it was just shoveled to the side where people could enter and exit the places of business. After a rain the streets pretty much turned into open sewers. This "stuff" was on everyone's boots/shoes and pants legs so the odor was always present. Add that to the "no bath" residents and non-ventilated buildings. Everyone who rode a horse smelled like a horse when they got off of one. If any manure was shoveled on to a manure wagon the wagon was only moved just off of the street so the smell didn't go very far. Trash was also dumped on the streets.

As towns grew some people were paid or volunteered to shovel the crap but no doubt couldn't stay ahead of the supply.

Thoughts? Comments? Corrections? Things to add?

Blog Entries

My grandfather was born in 1880, at the end of the cowboy era. In the early '50s when he got a TV, he used to laugh at Hollywood depicting a cowboy or group of cowboys taking over a town. He said the townfolk would just get togethet and shoot them, in the back or whatever. It was "their" town and they worked hard for it and wouldn't let someone take it over. He was a farmer in Yukon, OK and also delivered mail on horseback at a time when Postmen had to be armed because people sent cash in the mail and armed robbery was prevelent. Thankfully he never was. Dad said he had a 45 Colt long barrel: wish I knew what happened to it, probably sold to help on his farm.

My father was born in 1911 and told me that in the winter, in Yukon, OK, the No. Canadian river on the back of my grandfather's place, froze over and towns people cut up the Ice and stored the blocks in town in an insulated Ice House and packed the ice in sawdust. The Ice man dropped off deliveries when he saw a sign in the window.
    Last edited by PWC; 10-15-2024 at 11:53. Reason: spelling

I've read that when automobiles were first introduced, they were welcomed since people saw them as a way to get rid of the pollution from horse droppings. How things do change.

One of the first cities in the U.S. to have an AC electric power grid was Telluride, Colorado. The mine owners wanted reliable electric power to the mines, and got Tesla to build an alternating current power plant there. The city of Telluride benefited from the power plant by having a power grid constructed in their city.

If you have ever been to Telluride, you know that it is in the middle of no where.

5. Default

Neighbor grew up in Telluride, joined the Navy around '60. All left and sold his grandmother's house for price of car maybe.