1. Default 1881 Trapdoor Carbine

I found this carbine and would like opinions on it please. The barrel was shortened about 3/4" for some reason, and the rear sight area has a crude dovetail cut into the barrel. There are markings on the side of the butt stock, and a cartouche that is hard to read. I know the brass ring is not correct.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wade; 10-23-2024 at 02:28.

2. Default

more

3. Default

and more

4. Default

last

Well, not so good news. While that number itself is not listed in the SRS books, there are NO carbines anywhere near it, at all. That MIGHT explain the cut barrel, though I think it is a carbine barrel which was cut to remove damaged rifling at the muzzle. Front sight blade is wrong (they were steel not brass) and the whole sight looks a little funky. A proper rear sight should cover the dovetail. Stock looks right. The breechblock does not match the width of the receiver; it is of the early style, but that can be easily fixed. Hope that helps, and that you didn't pay a high price for it.

6. Default

Hi Dick,
    I paid $300 for the carbine. I figured just the parts were worth that. Thank you for the comments.

7. Default

Dick,
    Where can I find the correct rear sight for this model? It can be well used. Which model is this carbine?